Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How to measure rear spring camber

Mark,

Do remember the rear springs will settle by 2 inches when in use.

The fronts tend to stay the same.

Many have fallen for this on sports springs, when people say the sports springs are flat. Austin were actually around a 2 inch camber on the rear.

You will see on Ulster reps were people have fitted a flat spring. After the springs settle. They have an adverse camber. And the rear looks very low.

AUSTINS measurements for the chummy is 6 1/2 inch camber + or - 1/4 inch.

When fitted the car looks high at the rear. But should settle.

Tony.

Re: How to measure rear spring camber

Mark it's really difficult to know how much your springs will compress when the weight of the body is on them. As a bit of a guide I fitted a pair of new rears a couple of years ago to my standard 28 Chummy. On the bench the camber was 6 1/2" , when fitted they now have 3" camber, this gives 31" from the edge bead of the rear wing to the ground with Avon triple duty tyres fitted. These springs have two 5/16" and five 1/4" leaves. The springs have not settled any more in the two years, the previous set settled 1/2" in thirty years but were worn half way through each leaf.
Hight to the highest hood stick is five foot four inches, which I think is the overall height listed for the car in the handbook. Hope this helps Ian M