Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1936 Austin 7 tourer

Mal,

For local assistance it would help if we knew where in Australia ?

If in Victoria check out the Club at -

http://www.austin7club.org/

Cheers, Tony.

Its great to have some light shed on plates etc since i had no idea what was what. Also great to see another car with AS plate ad car pictures.
So we have a Holden bodied Austin which plate id is correct to say !!
Reading how was sport n roadstar from forum i did read something when i was going mad googling things referring to sport and roadster builds by Holden. I think sport was a w seater and roadstar being 4 seater. So would it be called an Austin roadstar or Austin tourer or Austin roadster Tourer. ???
Much appreciative on everyones feedback makes me feel very welcome and excited aswell.
Looking at car was so amazed to see the little glass window pressed into back roof , i guess as the side window plastic use to be hard see through. This glass is broken but was thinking due to front window being cracked i might be able to cut the rear window glass from front window. Not at that stage as yet. Lol
In my investigations with car, the Red body paintwork, has been brushed on over original paint. The wheel guards are black underneath the red paint. Ive also find a green colour under red paint to in areas. Im wondering if i can remove red paint on body and somehow reveal paint colour underneath it.
The seats also have been re upholstered with a reddish brown material and where this has torn reveals original green upholstry.
The edging on seat matches the door trim edging which door trims are reddish brown.
Im wondering if these have been changed to match the re trimming of seats. Ill take some detailed pics to show everyone.
Its like pealing away layers of time and history.

Mal
... I think sport was a 2 seater and roadstar being 4 seater. So would it be called an Austin roadster or Austin tourer or Austin roadster Tourer. ???

This is from an Australian Big Seven brochure, but it would suggest that your car is a Tourer rather than a Roadster (note the greater slope of the tail on the Roadster, which presumably reduces the seating to a 2+2):

The brochure makes no mention of the coachbuilder.

Mal - I'd say it would be impossible to find that any authority (no matter which State) would record who made the body, as when sold from the Dealer it was just an Austin Seven, mostly to Longbridge specs, regardless of additional body maker. Can send you restoration measurements, DIY & HTDI (how to do it) etc, if you email me your postal address. Re colours, I haven't looked yet, but would be surprised if you couldn't find them on the Austin Seven Clubs' Association website. There you will also find Handbooks, Parts Lists etc you can download to further your knowledge, although you won't find much if anything on Oz models.. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill

Mal - One faint possibility to add - have a search on your door pillars and the bottom timber rail of the doors. If you find a stamped number, the body will have been built by Green in Sydney. If so, let me know and I'll give you all their details. Cheers, Bill

Thnx Bill and Tony.
I live penrith nsw.
Tony, i tried the club nsw but will not take me to site. I have tried heaps times. Could be my safety setting with phone not sure. I just think it not right site address.

Bill,
With investigating registration , was maybe seeing find some history etc to previous owners, car colour , verify numbers etc on car.

I have put on my check list to check rear seat for the lion and now added timbers .
I'll email you Bill to pass on my email.
Thnx again.
Ive been trying chase some parts i know visually i need. Like ignition,fuel guage amp meter, drivers door handle,2 latches for vents on hood cover. Austing winged badge for radiator cowl as mine broken.
Whilst chasing parts i think might start first on engine rebuild .

Tony,
I have been snoopy on the vic clubs site already. Lol

Matt, try www.austin7clubnsw.org.au works for me.
The Holden 'lion' badge had several iterations in the early years and I think the badge for you is a 35mm oval slightly raised in the centre and ringed with a garland of some sort of leaves. A seated lion with raised paw resting on a stone is positioned centrally. From memory the lion faces left however I have seen an example facing right (very rare), and some say these are to be placed each side, externally lowdown on the scuttle. Left and right examples seem to support this view. Holdens made bodies for quite a few car makes and the right face badge rarity may mean it was destined for a bigger, upmarket make.
I have chosen the inside passenger A pillar scuttle trim for mounting on my Austin 7.
I have pictures on another computer of the different types and will look tomorrow. cheers Russell.

Very interesting

My memory! Before I wrote the above diatribe, I thought I may have written it here before, but couldn't find it. I now find I wrote the details as recently as Dec. 2015, so my apologies for the repetition. (Luckily I wrote much the same thing each time!). The only trivial thing I can now add for the pundits is the designation for Ruby-type chassis-only sent to Oz was SKD. Cheers, Bill