Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Replica Cozette Supercharger Lubrication.

How much oil do users of Replica Supercharged Engines add to their fuel ? As I understand things, the replica superchargers rely solely on oil in the fuel for lubrication and I'm sure this subject has come up time and again but sadly, I can't find it ! I know even original superchargers rely on some, I just wondering if it is more than the 1-2% recommended for the original ones (in addition to their throttle controlled valve operated oil tank attached to the fuel tank).

Re: Replica Cozette Supercharger Lubrication.

I run a Cozette supercharger with Tufnol vanes and I add 50ml of Castrol A747 oil into the fuel.

It never separates out even after standing all winter.

I have been using this lubricant for 23 seasons.

Peter, thanks for your reply, in view of the time you've used it, the type of oil you use is a healthy recommendation but what ratio of oil to petrol do you use ?

I recommend 1% with mine but that is with a different vane material.I think you could run with tufnol vanes at that too.
The original Cozettes were very mechanical and with the oiler valve open I guess it could have been as high as 4-5%.
I have used R40 and cheap 2 stroke oil and both worked OK.

On the Judson,which is constructed like the repro Cozette the recommendation is one drip every 4-6 seconds through the sight glass regulator supplied.

Austin in the Shed
On the Judson,which is constructed like the repro Cozette the recommendation is one drip every 4-6 seconds through the sight glass regulator supplied.

That is perfectly correct, Dave, but I think it is worth saying that this is at tickover. The regulator automatically increases flow as the throttle is opened.

Regards,
Stuart

I suppose one should add that (while this depends on the fuel) it is probably unwise to add more than 2% oil to routine petrol because it increases the likelihood of detonation in an engine with high compression pressures.
When I was running the "Rolt Cozette" on 747 as recommended by Peter I used 50:1.

Regards,
Stuart

Thanks everyone for your usual speedy replies (including David Howe's and Mike Pickup's via email). The general consensus is 40-50:1 but I must confess to usually adding a bit more 'just to be on the safe side' which seems to contradict the following tale of woe. In preparing for the re-opening of the 'the Finishing Straight' at Brooklands on Saturday (can expand on this if there's a demand!) we removed the Ulster from display in the Museum, fueled it up, fitted a battery and attempted to turn it over but it was seized solid. My engineering friend Peter Felton and I removed the spark plugs and added WD40 to the bores but no amount of 'bumping' the car's engine got any movement. Obviously the head had to come off and the only hint of an issue was a slight film of rust on the 4th plug. We didn't have the right tools to go any further so I returned on Sunday with a suitably shaped thick section of wood and via a long 2cm diameter jack handle gave it a mighty blow with a mallet and things started moving. Incidentally, the head gasket looked fine and because I was in the 'middle of nowhere' at a busy event I cleaned the block, gasket and head as well as I could and re-assembled the engine. Fortunately it fired up on first press of the starter motor switch and I ran it for 2-3 miles and am glad to report it went brilliantly. But why did this happen in view of the engine being turned over every 3-6 months and my adding if anything too much oil to the fuel ?

James Anderson

... But why did this happen in view of the engine being turned over every 3-6 months and my adding if anything too much oil to the fuel ?

Cars prefer being used to being in museums? Almost certainly true and a problem if you have a car as original as yours
It takes remarkably little corrosion to seize and engine. When I've left cars for periods I've lifted the plugs and poured oil in the bores, ensuring that each piston was mid stroke

Charles

Years ago I was involved with kart racing. Not Honda 4 strokes, but proper 2 strokes that went a bit. We used to use 50:1, measured fairly accurately. One day on a long circuit we decided on a little more oil and ran 40:1. We seized the engine. In the cold light of day, increasing the amount of oil decreases the amount of petrol, and we were running a seriously weak mixture. Now I never thought that it would make much difference, but it seems to. We should have changed carb settings, but just didn't think.

I agree that most cars should be used and maybe not just 'viewed' in museums but directly and indirectly I've recived so many good stories relating to 'how useful it was having the car displayed in a relatively public place', I think its been worth it. One of the best was from a woman who was possibly being 'dragged round yet another museum', turned a corner and recognised her Dad's old car and sent me new info about it as a result! Another was from someone's mother in law who recognised his father in one of the photos. He was a member of Vernon Bowles Brooklands 'Relay Team' referred to as 'One Crowther' in a period magazine obviously because VL Seyd, the car's first owner, couldn't remember his first name! The son in law never knew his father and the car was the only link he was aware of and I found out his Dad's first name...George ! Plus countless replica builders have had access to measure and photograph the car I hasten to add with the museum's and my permission.

James, sorry for the 'grey' moment, I was trying to get ready for a week away to a cottage by the sea with no land line, no mobile coverage from anyone and no internet. It was as good as it sounds!!

I have always used the ratio of 50:1 as Stuart said in his comment on the 18th June.

I initially used top quality outboard two stroke oil but had to change the plugs after the practice runs. Since using 747 I have never changed a plug at an event.
Regards

Peter

Peter, bit like me about a month ago in the middle of Brittany...Bliss ! Thanks for the info. seems in general agreement with most others. Will be running the car in about 2-3 months time, with the right ratio of oil, maybe with improved performance and less smoke ... although with Castrol R there are not many objectors. Will report back. Thanks again to everyone for their advice and help.

During my m/c trialling days I always used Bel-Ray two stroke oil which is fully synthetic and can be used down to 100:1 without detriment.