Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1932 Box Saloon - Replacement of Ignition Switch

The ignition switch on my Box saloon has succumbed to old age. I have purchased a replacement (1934 pattern) from David Cochrane which is of excellent quality, but as he carefully explained, it has only the full charge option, unlike the 1932 version which has both full and half charge options. The switch was supplied with comprehensive wiring instructions which any competent electrician could follow with ease.
Therein lies my problem.
I have transferred all the wires which are marked A to A, B to B, C to C - the corresponding terminals on the new switch. This has left me with wires D and F1 on the old switch and I do not know where to connect them on the new. There are three open terminals on the new switch L, T and 1G. I assume that the old wires should be connected to one or other terminals on the new switch, but despite searching through the archive on this website, I am unable to find a clear solution to this problem.
Your help in resolving this matter would be greatly appreciated.
With many thanks,
Anthony Gaynor
PS. If anyone would like the old switch for spares purposes, I would gladly give it to a new home.

Re: 1932 Box Saloon - Replacement of Ignition Switch

As David explained your new switch doesn't have the summer/winter full/half charge feature so I don't think you can connect the D and F wires to it. You can connect these two wires to a simple on/off switch, which can be hidden but accessible, with the switch on you will have winter or full charge and off gives summer or half charge.
I was confronted by a Seven which an auto-electrician had fitted one of these switches to. Switch on, start engine, all worked OK, until you switched off and the engine kept running. All the wiring was black in a nicely made harness, it was a nightmare to sort out. I fitted a separate full/half charge switch under the dash board.

just to echo what David said, and to add that 1G is actually IG for ignition wire.
Steve V.

The post "Any advice on how to wire a new PLC switch" may be of interest.John Cornforths diag (Dorset Club site) is not exactly applicable to the pre Ruby models but will likely prove very helpful.