Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
BEYOND REPAIR?

Following on from my "Cylinder Bores" engine rebuild thread, I've been wondering where Forum members would draw the line with what it's sensible to try to restore.

I'm sure that there must be plenty of examples of extreme restoration out there - please share them!

To start off, how would you rate these rear wings, taken from a customer's RP (anyone who's been following our Facebook page "Martin Prior and Son's Motor Works" will know that the rest of the car isn't - or wasn't - a lot better!).........

photo IMG_2805_zps4vnnbf0z.jpg

photo IMG_2806_zpsi9djscki.jpg

photo IMG_2808_zpskwpmhqzm.jpg

We couldn't source any better ones, so bit the bullet and got to work. With a bit of effort, they've turned out quite well - not perfect, but certainly good enough for a transport car.

photo IMG_2976_zps6aelselx.jpg

photo IMG_2977_zpssnsgbzts.jpg

photo IMG_2973_zpswbmqbsek.jpg

Re: BEYOND REPAIR?

I'm suitably impressed. How far did you have to cut back before you struck weldable ore?
Welding up the holes in lace or filigree is a nightmare...

photo chassis 1_zpsv8bluyia.jpg

Not that there's anything remotely restorable here, but I recently removed this former Ruby chassis from a friend's compost heap!
Well done Martin - I'm undertaking a similar task on the AVK project's rear wings.
Alastair

Duncan Grimmond
I'm suitably impressed. How far did you have to cut back before you struck weldable ore?
Welding up the holes in lace or filigree is a nightmare...

Thanks, Duncan. They're about 40% new metal!

Alastair
 photo chassis 1_zpsv8bluyia.jpg

Not that there's anything remotely restorable here, but I recently removed this former Ruby chassis from a friend's compost heap!
Well done Martin - I'm undertaking a similar task on the AVK project's rear wings.
Alastair

Not restorable, Alastair? I can think of a dealer who'd do a nut-and-bolt restoration and have it running and on sale in two weeks!

Alastair - you need vision my man, vision I tell you!!

Martin - excellent work!

I've been involved with a recent AAK restoration and the running boards were in much better condition than that. The 'management' decision was to have new ones made from stainless steel!

Oh the pain of fettling them to fit.

Anyone want a pair of reasonable AAK running boards?

Alastair!

Don't you recognise a Grasshopper chassis when you see one?

Martin - as one who spent many years welding rusty air for owners who wanted everything "original" as against quick, easier and cheaper new replacement, I too commend you on an excellent job. Cheers, Bill

Hi Martin

Such a budget d.i.y repair can be very satisfying. More so than being given a restored car.

Seven materials were intended for long life but this did not extend to bodies. I dunno what paint was used for the RP cars but corrosion seems to have been very rapid . Primer has a huge influence. My car had very little use during the war years but the doors and inner guards were patched before 1950. Properly painted, and despite extensive time outside, subsequent corrosion negligible. (My father was a plumber so repaired guards with a cold riveted insert).

Despite the small size and the ability to view the guard directly, all RPs, including those with bumpers, seemed to suffer parking damage to the rear guards. With marked spaces everywhere parking is much more orderly today. People trying to make space by by lifting the car also caused damage.