Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: BEYOND REPAIR?

Alastair - you need vision my man, vision I tell you!!

Martin - excellent work!

Duncan Grimmond
I'm suitably impressed. How far did you have to cut back before you struck weldable ore?
Welding up the holes in lace or filigree is a nightmare...

Thanks, Duncan. They're about 40% new metal!

I've been involved with a recent AAK restoration and the running boards were in much better condition than that. The 'management' decision was to have new ones made from stainless steel!

Oh the pain of fettling them to fit.

Anyone want a pair of reasonable AAK running boards?

Alastair!

Don't you recognise a Grasshopper chassis when you see one?

Martin - as one who spent many years welding rusty air for owners who wanted everything "original" as against quick, easier and cheaper new replacement, I too commend you on an excellent job. Cheers, Bill

Hi Martin

Such a budget d.i.y repair can be very satisfying. More so than being given a restored car.

Seven materials were intended for long life but this did not extend to bodies. I dunno what paint was used for the RP cars but corrosion seems to have been very rapid . Primer has a huge influence. My car had very little use during the war years but the doors and inner guards were patched before 1950. Properly painted, and despite extensive time outside, subsequent corrosion negligible. (My father was a plumber so repaired guards with a cold riveted insert).

Despite the small size and the ability to view the guard directly, all RPs, including those with bumpers, seemed to suffer parking damage to the rear guards. With marked spaces everywhere parking is much more orderly today. People trying to make space by by lifting the car also caused damage.