Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1934 Le Mans Bentley Replica

I came across this we beastie which someone appears to have spent a few hundred pounds on decorative bling to produce a vehicle seemingly embarrassed by enforced split personality syndrome.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Superb-Vintage-1934-Austin-7-Cambridge-Sports-Miniature-Le-Mans-Bentley-Unique-/152594933272?hash=item23875de618:g:958AAOSwd~RZSsqs

I had to laugh when I saw the dash switch labelled 'wrap drive'. Well it may well have been, as it's certainly no supercharger, although the polished alternator is trying hard to blow its own trumpet.

I bring this cheerful, if overdressed, Austin 7 Cambridge Special to the notice of the forum, as it deserves a better life than as a circus performer and hopefully someone may one day undress the little chap and let it stand proud for what it really is.

Bill

Re: 1934 Le Mans Bentley Replica

Hi Bill,
I came across it the other day - gave me a chuckle too!
Steve V.

Rather than trying to be a bentley,

With all the tat removed, it could be a lovely austin 7.

Plus you would get a few quid back wheighing in all those bentley badges on ebay

I agree it could be quite a nice Cambridge if it was not for all the tat!

You might think that the Bentley Drivers Club would object to such obvious 'trickery'.

As an Austin 7 owner I personally object to the removal of the Austin 7 wings and logo from what looks to be a reasonable Austin 7 special.

Does it overheat with the radiator so covered with tat ?

Cheers, Tony.

Somewhat reminiscent of all those white roofed, BRG Austin Minis with bog-standard 850 engines but loads of Paddy Hopkirk bolt-ons, chequer tape go-faster stripes and Monte Carlo badges one used to see in the 1960's.
It really should go into a museum aimed at the lover of kitsch and tat.
I'd go and see it as long as it wasn't more than 10 miles away. No doubt someone will fallen love with it and snap it up..

I wonder how an Austin-branded blower Bentley would go down with the BDC?

Poor little Cambridge, what have they done to you? They covered you with "B"s and Union Jacks and car club chintz. Seriously, though, I want that invisible blower!