Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A7 Marine Gearbox

Funnily enough I saw that and put a link on James Ralphs Facebook timeline as it would have suited the rebuild of the Rhiwbach tramway loco.

It sold quickly

Dave Williams was advertising a marine A7 engine and box on eBay recently, don't know whether he has sold it

I've had a bit of an oily marine gearbox aimlessly located at the back of my off-site garage for years and went over to have a look at it today. Its got all its bits but the alloy top where the ball locates is broken at the back although the ball mechanism is still firmly located in it. The lever has some forward and backward movement but doesn't seem to do anything particularly purposeful. If you are within reasonable driving distance of Worthing it would possibly be worth you coming to have a look at it but otherwise if I were you I'd look for a fully functional one. If you're still interested, next week I'll take off its top and have a look and see what it's like inside.

Mike, better news! Wrong weather forecast for heavy rain has fortunately not materialised and enabled me to have a closer look at the gearbox. Cleaned it up and both clutch and forward/reverse mechanisms work perfectly well. However, the gearbox casing has had a couple of well executed repairs and the problem on the top of the gearbox has no impact on the mechanism and could be easily tidied up and should be weather-proofed in some way. There are are some other minor cosmetic issues in the bell housing that again don't impact on the clutch's function. Makes any inspection more worthwhile but could send you some photos if you provide me with an email address.

Mike - I don't know whether it might be of any use but attached is a photo of a cone clutch mechanism removed from a marine engine many years ago. It was attached to three-speed gearbox which was beyond saving.
It is is very, very heavy but you are welcome to it for the cost of postage if it helps your project.

Alastair

photo cone clutch_zpsokvshwtc.jpg

James Anderson
Mike, better news! Wrong weather forecast for heavy rain has fortunately not materialised and enabled me to have a closer look at the gearbox. Cleaned it up and both clutch and forward/reverse mechanisms work perfectly well. However, the gearbox casing has had a couple of well executed repairs and the problem on the top of the gearbox has no impact on the mechanism and could be easily tidied up and should be weather-proofed in some way. There are are some other minor cosmetic issues in the bell housing that again don't impact on the clutch's function. Makes any inspection more worthwhile but could send you some photos if you provide me with an email address.

This is brilliant news..... some photos would be excellent........my telephone number, email address etc. is in the magazine under Mulliner Register........

Circa. 1980 when working at a school in Ledbury I started a project with the pupils to build a railway around the school grounds. By 1993 we had 1000 yards of track, three engines, various carriages, etc. all built and maintained by the pupils. The first locomotive built used a Suffolk Punch engine driving through the A7 marine gearbox. A young lad has now discovered and bought this locomotive, but sadly the engine and gearbox are missing. I have found him a 'Punch' engine, but now we need a gearbox...... I never thought nearly thirty years later that people would be restoring the locomotives and rolling stock we built..... makes me feel old..... there is even a Bacefook page for our old railway ......The Ledbury Light Railway......

Alastair
Mike - I don't know whether it might be of any use but attached is a photo of a cone clutch mechanism removed from a marine engine many years ago. It was attached to three-speed gearbox which was beyond saving.
It is is very, very heavy but you are welcome to it for the cost of postage if it helps your project.

Alastair

photo cone clutch_zpsokvshwtc.jpg

Many thanks Alistair, but I don't think we could use this clutch......but thanks again ....

That's OK Mike - if anyone else has a use for it I'd be happy to see it being used instead of spending another 40 years sitting under the bench!
Alastair

I took one to the bring & buy stall at Beaulieu rally last year. It was a converted 3-speed box with two positions of the gear change blanked off, and a cover on the side for a special gear to give direct reverse. Whether someone bought it to use or just out of interest I don't know. It might be the latter at £20, but who bought it I don't know. An email round the clubs might find it.