Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Beaulieu thefts

Hi all

750 beaulieu seemed to be lively during the sunday, so I hope everyone had a good day.

Ours was a mixed day, down to the few spoiling things for the many

For the many, I hope you all enjoy your perchasses.

Many of those rear items sold were the result of me spending 3 days across South yorkshire buying and collecting up the items. And a further two weeks getting ready for beaulieu.

sadly the few leave us yet again with a bitter tast,

Around midday Sunday a customer if I can call him that was seen handling a round junction box with the pop on lid. ( mid 1930s ). a minute latter it was gone. We can't proove who took it, but we know the face of the last person seen handling it.

If the person who took it was you, please return it.

I often wonder why people do these things, is that someone is steeling a number of items to sell on, or is it a part that's needed for a car, and the refusal to pay the price.

The junction box was priced £48.00 which would sound expensive to most seven people. But these boxs were also fitted to early MGs. And this dictats the prices. So I have to price them at mg prices because I can't buy them in at seven prices.

Tony.

Re: Beaulieu thefts

Really sorry to hear this Tony, these buggers need hanging up by their bits.

VERY EASY `TONI

Technology is here 2 very small wide angle cameras with a small box connected to your van battery will record the whole day event. You can rewind the tape and catch the thief.

Unfortunately you need to do it as you said it takes one person to spoil the day.

It only takes one.

Robert Hiscox
VERY EASY `TONI

Technology is here 2 very small wide angle cameras with a small box connected to your van battery will record the whole day event. You can rewind the tape and catch the thief.

Unfortunately you need to do it as you said it takes one person to spoil the day.

Robert, you are a genius.

Not being into technology I wouldn't have even given it a thought.

But when it's pointed out to you.

I will look into it, and sort something for future events.

September beaulieu will be here soon enough.

realy kicking myself I haven't done it earlier.

Although it's a sad part of life we even have to do these things in the first place.

Tony.

Oh dear, how sad. Did I notice one of the other stalls had some sort of sign up about theft? (I thought it was an odd thing for the A7 rally, which always seems so homely). Obviously not just your experience then, perhaps.

And as one who walks up and down deliberating like a 9-year-old-with-pocket-money before spending one's 50 pence, hearing that leaves a taste in the mouth as it means one feels slightly less inclined to just browse in the hope of seeing that forgotten bit. So yes, Robert's idea sounds a good one.. or you can always use those fake ones people use on houses so that nobody will ever know whether you are recording or not

It was a good show; sad not to have A7Workshop there... and perhaps a few other jumblies missing this year? Didnt find a jack 'andle - but now have 2 nice shiny new suspension links, thankyou Tony.

Just to add a thought re the camera system.
Most car powered cameras are designed to capture impacts, so they work on perhaps a 15 minute loop, permanantly saving if sensing G or being switched off.

So if you want to spot a thief then you will need to be able to look back over an 8 hour period and so you need to be sure to get a battery powered security camera set up which are more expensive.

You could also use the wildlife cameras, rugged, waterproof, long battery life, work in low light and motion activated. Aldi had some a while back for about £70.

Alternatively buy a dummy, but don't tell us if you do, and add some stickers around. 'Smile you are on CCTV' with a camera pointing in their face, should deter the casual thief.

Shame it is needed.

Andy B

Hi both, sorry to hear about your theft, but no doubt if you see this person again you will be able to "explain" the errors of his way. As for fitting camera's that seems to be a very good idea and unfortunately is the way to go no doubt next time we approach your stall we will have to comb our hair and have a smile on our face.

S&P

Evening all. We have a sign on the stall 'Please do not steal, the Government hates competition.' However this did not prevent the theft of a new tax disc holder.
The other theft was of mine and my son's beauty sleep. Whoever permitted a 'rave' with the noise (I refuse to call it music) until 3.00am with an encore at 4.00am? If this is how the managers of the National Motor Museum intend to treat their customers then I will not be making the 200 mile each way trek again.
Perhaps a move to Warwick might be considered or will we have to wait until 2022?
Regards
Stuart

PS Tony: do the cameras have to be real or would dummies with a 'CCTV surveillance sign' suffice? Just a thought from a sleep deprived brain.

I'm with you stuart,

5 1/2 hours of relentless base. Not good.

I was lucky tracy was with me, as I was to tired to drive all the way home. ( same again around 200 miles each way ). Tracy done the second hour. So I could have a sleep.

There were rumours on the field that IAN was worried about being the person to pull the plug on beaulieu after so many years. But after this, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

I think you will find many people are behind the move.

And yes Warwick sounds a very good choice after the 90th anniversary.

Tony.

PS, perhaps beaulieu will be making refunds for this over site.

PPS, I won't be holding my breath though.

Andy B
Just to add a thought re the camera system.
Most car powered cameras are designed to capture impacts, so they work on perhaps a 15 minute loop, permanantly saving if sensing G or being switched off.
Andy B

I've a cheap, in car camera that records in 15 minute bites, but it holds around eight hours of bites on an SD card and when full overwrites the oldest stuff. Cost around twenty quid.

I find the go pro cameras very good. Hd and can be used anywhere. Small too

Hi all. Just like to give my opinion regarding the 750 rally, I think a move to Warwick would be a great idea. How many people travel North for the 750 rally?
S&P

I agree wiv 'I'm! The journey from northern counties is a bit of a pain, London is far enough and Beaulieu is miles beyond.
Stoneleigh or Peterborough or in fact anywhere north of Watford would make it easier, but not for the far south west!
Trouble is, you'd probably want to bring the museum too.

I have thought for the last ten years that Beaulieu is an increasingly poor venue and location for the National Rally. Firstly it is of course as far south as it is almost possible to go and remain in the British Isles, surely not a fair or responsible location for anybody north of Watford Gap. Warwick could redress this geographical imbalance to an extent.
Secondly the very poor facilities at Beaulieu are by the standards of other National Rallies I attend, in my opinion, desperately poor. Camping is inordinately expensive for minimal facilities. The last National I attended was 2013, when arena announcements were restricted due to complaints from the neighbouring vineyards new owners. This resulted in virtually no information being given about vehicles in the arena or requests for particular gatherings, which was disappointing to those who had made a particular effort to get them there.
I joined the 750 Club to be able to express this point of view, which I did at the time, it was dismissed out of hand. I am still a member in order to be able to continue expressing this point of view, being inside the tent pi**ing out! Tradition it may have for Austin 7s, but most other things it lacks I think. Time for a move I agree.

Jack, I can only agree with your words.

If nobody minds I'm going to open another thread for beaulieu.

If you could all re adress your opinions there.

Perhaps we could get some input from the 750mc.

I know IAN has answered or listed threads before.

Perhaps if there are enough people in favour of a move, then we will get through to them.

Tony.

Another suggestion as an alternative to Beaulieu could be Donington Park racing circuit. The 750MC have their offices there. They have classic car clubs in the centre for the Historic meeting, which could be used for camping. There is already a campsite attached to the hotel next door. Maybe it could be combined with a 750MC race meeting with an A7 race. There is the museum on site, and an airport next door to encourage overseas club members(!)Handy for the motorways.

Andy Lowe
Another suggestion as an alternative to Beaulieu could be Donington Park racing circuit. The 750MC have their offices there. They have classic car clubs in the centre for the Historic meeting, which could be used for camping. There is already a campsite attached to the hotel next door. Maybe it could be combined with a 750MC race meeting with an A7 race. There is the museum on site, and an airport next door to encourage overseas club members(!)Handy for the motorways.

Definitely in favour of that idea Andy, if it flies.

Ian Mc.

Me too Ian that is the best suggestion I have read so far and makes a heck of a lot of sense. Shame it is under this thread and not the Beaulieu stay or go thread.

Great suggestion Andy.
Excellent facilities on site and close by, well located, close to major road networks.

Paul N-M