Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Old tyres

Hello All
After changing tyres on numerous vehicles, I have quite a stack of old ones that I need to get rid of.
I have looked for tyre recycling locally but nobody seems to want them.
What have others done with their old tyres, legal solutions only!
Many thanks.
Adrian.

Re: Old tyres

Here in Shropshire, if you just take two at a time to the local recycling centre they will take them off you F.O.C.
Try any more than two at a time they regard you as trade and you will be charged disposal per tyre.
They usually have enough big tyres but, if you can find a friendly farmer who is extending his silage clamp, he might take them off you to help weight down his sheeting.

Ian Mc.

70p a tyre in Sheffield, took 7 last week.

70p a tyre? That's a bargain - its £3.20 a tyre down here in Cornwall,and the council wonders why it has a fly-tipping problem! Next time I'm passing Sheffield I'll bring my pile of dead ones with me...

Alastair

£ 3.20 ? even better than West Dorset District Council,s charge of £10 , also is it £ 8 per off cut of plasterboard, you can buy a full 8 x 4 for £10 !

About a year ago, having a clear out, I took four to the local ATS - charged £1 a tyre.

Colin

Ian McGowan
Here in Shropshire, if you just take two at a time to the local recycling centre they will take them off you F.O.C.
Try any more than two at a time they regard you as trade and you will be charged disposal per tyre.
They usually have enough big tyres but, if you can find a friendly farmer who is extending his silage clamp, he might take them off you to help weight down his sheeting.

Ian Mc.

Even lorry tyres. And solid rubbers off fork trucks......

£1.70/Tyre in North Yorkshire (but solid tyres £11 each!!). No cash payment accepted, card payment only.

Steve

Not quite in the spirit of the question, but some of us still enjoy the luxury of a bin collection (not usually inspected), and our tyres have steel only in the beads....

To save a lot of experiment, what has been found the most successful? Will bolt cutters manage the hard beads without damage? Then snips? Hacksaw? Angle grinder with cutoff disc? Drop saw ditto? Etc. I suspect a skill saw with metal blade would snatch and be dangerous.

On modern thin wall tyres can easily cut from the beads all around with a wet Stanley knife.

Do what they do in the Pacific islands, turn them inside out to make planters.

Rip-off Britain again.

Here in darkest Rekkersland all I have to do it put anything I don't want at the side of the communal bin on the morning of the first wednesday of the month and the lads from the Town Hall collect it and dispose of it. Gratos.

Two months out of three it's for any "encombrant" (general rubbish) the other month it's for "feraille" (scrap). The remains of a 4spd synchro box and some other unwanted metallic items will be going down this route next month.

The bins are emptied twice a week as well.

Last week I went to the local council Tip with three inner spring mattresses the bloke on the gate said that will be $90 however if I take them home and burn them and just bring the springs back they will take them for free..The mattesses are still sitting on the back of the truck while I await a favourable neighbour friendly wind direction.

At our 'maison secondaire' in the Pas de Calais the local dechetterie has a skip specially for unwanted tyres. All you need is a registered address in the town! Because of the stupid british system I take any scrap tyres across the channel when I go, which is quite frequent.