Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
cross shaft centre bearing

I now have all the bits to re-assemble the brake cross-shaft on my 1934 early Ruby. Just one question please - how do the two plates of the centre bearing housing fit to the chassis? Do they both fit to the nearside of the chassis member? Or both fit to the offside? Or are they fitted one each side of the centre chassis member?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: cross shaft centre bearing

Andrew - I think the plates go one either side of the strut - this is so on both my Ulster and semi-Girling chassis, so I presume correct. Good Luck, Cheers, Bill

One side only.

Geoff - Melting in the Carport

Geoff - difficult to tell from your photo - is that both bearings on same side or some sort of gasket? It's difficult to debate whether both same side or one either side originally - particularly as the Parts List only shows one? Cheers, Bill

Bill,
You must have guessed my first post was incorrect.

Geoff - Thank goodness I took all the photos I did!

So, until today I had two opposing answers. Plates both to one side, and plates sandwiched one to each side of the chassis member. The only way was to trial assemble mine and see what worked. With the plates held apart by the chassis member was no good, the steel bobbin of the centre bearing was far too loose between the plates. Assembled together on one side worked well.

Then today I see new suggestions that the plates go either side of the chassis member! Not on mine they don't!

Anyway thanks for all the help. It is now all reassembled with 3 new bushes and the shaft is easy to turn with no slop in any bearings.

Andrew - it appears you've found the answer to your satisfaction. What I should have mentioned in last post was the 1932 and 1934 (pre-Ruby) Parts Lists show two distinct bearing housings, whereas the 11/'36 List (for '37 model) shows one only. Will now journey out to my storage (I rent an old Shearing shed on a farm) and check why both have two on the two different chassis! Life's never dull. Cheers, Bill

This was a good question as I am currently working on my cross shaft, however mine looks different, I think my chassis is about 1936 (Number missing)

and I'm completely missing the centre one. Does anyone in Australia have one to spare?

Cheers

Mark