Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Unusual saloon for sale

It looks very strange, the top of the door window is lower than the rear window, surely no coachbuilder in period would do that. Id say it was a standard scuttle joined to the rear of a small saloon, using a narrow door. The windscreen seems to be an standard Austin item from a 1928/30 saloon and the dashboard Austin 1929/30. Seems the front is a standard Austin Saloon.

I can't help but think someone started with very little to go on aside from glass with the remains of an RK and ended up reversing the door glass and the rear quarter glass as a result.

Register gives Chassis as 89134, and A9-1801 - so looks like an Austin factory car. Lines seem more like a Chummy - roof follows the hood iron lines - small square lower door?

With this chassis number, it is on the surviving factory register from March - June '29 that lists chassis 77535 to 97332. Anyone have access to this, please?

Colin

David,

It looks like the windscreen is full depth, which would make it a 1928 or earlier fabric saloon item; late 1928 onwards the screen was a couple of inches shorter with a timber rail above the dashboard to fill the gap.

Mike, I agree about the windscreen, but the dash with pockets puts that bit later vintage . I cant believe that the bodywork is anything other that an amateur build.

As one who is very slowly, and very unofficially, putting together an R Type Register I find the car very intriguing.
As Colin says it can be checked out against the existing Works' register.
Both the engine number and car number indicate it was built around June '29 but whether the stamped car number plate has been transferred to another body, could be a possibility. I think I lean towards David's suggestion that it is a one off body but if this is the case it is not unattractive.
Are any of our Yorkshire forumistas prepared to have a look at it?
One point I would like to make is that Austins were producing an R Type with a flat steering wheel, side dash pockets, forward headlights, ni. rad shell and letter boxes as early as September '28. I have such a model!
Chris

Hi Chris

Here's another for your register - we have a '28 R Type in the collection - same as the version on pages 187 & 188 of the A7 Source Book.

Dad imported it from Pevensey Bay circa 1974, it looked a lot better in the pictures he was sent, it's in the restoration queue, but retains some of what I guess is the original tapestry interior fabric.

It has a brass rad shell, no traces of stove enamel remain. It's fitted with forward headlights, scuttle ventilators, narrow doors without the half round trim around the doors like the earlier ones and the roof line extends right around the back of the body. It has a coil engine fitted.

I'll get the numbers tomorrow

Best
Greig

Hi Geig,

In addition to Chris' 'R' Type specific Register, it would be a good idea if you were to fill in the Austin 7 Clubs Association Chassis Register Notification Form regarding your 1928 'R' Type and any other Sevens you might have that aren't currently listed on the Register. The first link is to the online Notification Form, the second to the A7CA Chassis Register itself.

http://a7ca.org/chassis-register/notification-form/

http://a7ca.org/chassis-register/

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Thanks, Greig.
Great news. Separate email sent
Chris

Hi

The Works Register at Gaydon lists this car as a Saloon, with Fabric in the notes. So, at least it started life as a fabric saloon. It might be possible to work out what has happened to it by examining the wooden framework - it would be interesting to know if it started life with those doors.

Regards
Colin