Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 750mc beaulieu stay or move

Sorry guys I feel I need to add to this one.

It's good to see so many fors and againsts, it should give the 750 club plenty to make further decisions on.

My problem is not so much the Sunday, the small chances I got to out from the stall there seem to be plenty of people enjoying themselves.

Its more the weekend as a hole.

We all complain there are not enough new or younger members. But if these people were invited in on the saterday. Or even Friday afternoon. What would they do for a day and a half? My may even give up before Sunday.

As for moving the event, I not really bothered if it does or not. I think this suggestion has come up, and quite rightly so since the high fuel prices. So if it's a national rally, perhaps it should consider those who travel?

All things have to be considered when you see car numbers dropping.

I know I'm not coming up with many answers here,

So how this, I like the idea of the changing head gasket competition. I would even donat all the parts to do it. And if nobody else valenteers I'll even clean and paint them, I would also do the same thing for a valve changing competition. If trophys for both would help bring the winner back the following year. I'll even make a couple of trophy.

If you want to contact other traders to join in, here's an idea stollen from the scottish club. Many years ago John Barlow kindly started a new category for car needing the most improvement. They get a trophy and John gave a voucher for parts to the winner. I think this is such a good idea. As John has been unwell over recent years I now donat the voucher.

Maybe people could bring there restorations in on the saterday to add more interest. Get of your arses and ask the traders present this year if they would like to sponsor this.

Another idea stollen again, this time from the old 7 workshop. At the last anniversary dave handed out badges to his customers.

To make beaulieu a bit exclusive to those who can be bothered to attend. Perhaps one of the traders wouldn't mind sponsoring this.

Sorry for putting these things forward for the traders. As it's something I don't like myself. Useing the trade as a cash cow. But perhaps the club could offset things with advertising of thanks for the sponsorship.

Just one thing more, I know things have to be put throught a committee, so for my part it takes time to make trophys and games. So don't site round a table for 6 months thinking about it, them a further 3 months farting. Just to drop a decision on me at the last moment.

Some of this may not make sence, as I've not re read it through. As I'm only just back in from a 22 hour day driving round SCOTLAND. Tony.

I am really quite saddened by this thread, it used to be the must attend A7 event of the year, and I made the pilgrimage every year without fail. Biggest collections of sevens in one place, as others have said the last part of the drive through the new forest was magical and quite simply the best A7 auto jumble anywhere. On trips back to the Uk I have been along to Autokana which was a poor relation to the 750 Beaulieu that I remember, I have however not been down to the New Forest since 2002. It is a shame it has all stared to go wrong, I think the problem is that there was nothing like it in the past, once other events compete there is less and less reason to attend and once numbers start to seriously drop it is a tough road back. I had been thinking I would bring a special over for the 100th especially to go back to Beaulieu, it won a couple of times in the past, this time I might get longest distance traveled! lol.

It's useful to see the suggestions and ideas. It's less useful to see incorrect comments so I'll start with noting some figures: Attendances have been growing slowly but surely from 521 people in 2010 to 600 last year and 610 this year. The number of cars on the rally field has been around 180 for several years. I think that's quite an achievement.

The next fact is about logistics: the current rally team live mainly in Surrey, Hampshire, Dorset, Sussex and Herts. A rally needs a team of people, which means it is much more practical to have this rally where the team can easily get to. I would add that the preparation for the rally means a huge, and I mean huge, amount of work by the organiser. Luckily for all concerned I am a mug, which means that I do this happily with great support and encouragement from a great team - all happy volunteers.

Then there's the question of costs, which no-one likes paying. It's easy to take for granted the hundreds and hundreds of pounds spent on each of: programme design & print, marquee, metal plaques, trophies for over 30 winners, postage & stationery, and VAT. Not very exciting but you can't have a rally without these.

I think it would be a great idea to have an extra rally in the midlands/north. All I would ask is that the organisers don't have it on the same weekend, or either side, of Beaulieu otherwise attendees and autojumblers will be deterred from one or the other.

IAN,

Not surprised if things are steady.

I don't know what adverting is done for non members and public,

I know things like classic car can work out expensive over the year. And probably cost more than you get back from them.

A cheaper thought ive seen people use. Is to list items for sale on eBay.

Listings are free. Just put on every now and then car entry ticket for one car at 750 beaulieu. Or one entry ticket.

Even if you don't sell tickets on there, it's a huge advertising to people who wouldn't normally think of going.

It's worked for auctions I know.

I don't use face book personally, but could the same thing be done on there, and probably simular sites.

Tony.

Over the last 51 years I've enjoyed going to Beaulieu about 20 times (work prevented more visits) the 200 odd miles is part of the event particularly with the Seven friendly route I've perfected. The venue is good but expensive and lacks facilities but doesn't turn to a quagmire in the wet like Gaydon or Longbridge. Warwick was excellent but could have been a disaster if it was wet. While it is on the south coast and not central it is centrally placed if you take into account our continental friends. What's happened to the long haul award which hasn't been awarded for the second year?

Firstly Ian I must apologise for suggesting that numbers of car attending seemed down. I can only try to explain why it felt like there were less cars this year if numbers were roughly the same. I can only guess that many people brought their jewels, meaning numbers in many (not all) of the other classes were less. This combined with the fact that all of the jewels were moved out of main rally field to the feature display, made the main rally field look a bit bare in comparison to previous years where there have been less feature cars. Last year I think had a similar effect with the racing cars. I don't know if keeping all of the cars on the rally field would be of benefit, maybe making the front row the feature display and having the feature cars do a parade of the driving test area?

Again I have only massive thanks for all of the hard work you and your team put in to make Beaulieu a magical day. I completely agree if there is to be an extra central rally, then the dates would need to be far enough apart to maintain participation at Beaulieu and ensure good numbers at the new event.

Tony,
Some great suggestions there. The valve changing contest is genius, trying to get the cotters in under pressure, brilliant. I would be happy to pitch in with any part of the project if you wanted to spread the load Tony. I would also volunteer a couple of hours on Sunday to help run it if it goes ahead. Trophies would be great to get the winner to come back next year, a simple card certificate for the winner to keep as well would be good.
Like the idea of the most improvement needed class for projects. Great place to get advice on your project as well.

Would having more people around generally on Saturday be of help to the atmosphere? I don't know how it all works, whether local entrants would be able to bring their cars on site after the run, just for the evening food and entertainment, without paying to camp?

All the best
Timothy

In response to the comment that thee was no long-haul trophy award, this trophy was indeed awarded to Tony Hudson in a 1928 Chummy who took several days to drive his car from Spain.

Two other relevant facts: we had 21 autojumblers (including a day trip jumbler from France) despite the Seven Workshop being unable to attend. The 750 club signed up 6 new members.

Could I suggest that people look at Nick Salmon's great selection of photos - these reflect many people's experience of the rally, ie lots of happy smiling faces. (Admittedly these omit pictures of unhappy campers disturbed by the awful noise at a neighbour's 21st party on Saturday night).

Hi Timothy,

Any changes or additions, will have to be ok'd first by the 750. Of course.

But if they do take on change, and ask for these things to be done. Yes I welcome help.

I think the tent needs livening up, and yes as you say something outside the tent on saterday evening could help.

Again these decisions are the 750s

I used to do a stall at Enfield padgent, and the years I done it. Many people talked about the quality of the stalls dropping each year. However the evening beer tent and entertainment pulled a huge crowd.

One thing that drew everyone to the beer tent wasn't necassarily the beer. They parked two steam engines outside, running. Brilliant.

Sadly as usual the few spoiled it for the many. With fits breaking out.

I've attended this event since they stopped the entertainment, and I'm sorry to say, unless you go to bed at 6pm, there is nothing.

Tony.

Repeating the links for you.

p.s. Great to see practical ideas being put forward to enhance the weekend - and even better to see volunteers stepping forward to put those ideas into practice. I am sure the committee will meet and discuss these very soon. Thanks everyone.

The images from the weekend are now online in four albums. Feel free to share with anyone who may be interested.

Clicking on the first image in an album montage opens the photo and then you can use the scroll arrows to navigate through the rest. These are at relatively low resolution and if anyone wants a hi-res version just let me know the number/s.

WINNERS:
Link

PEOPLE:
Link

DRIVING TESTS:
Link

CARS & DISPLAYS:
Link

Andy Lowe's suggestion of Donnington is very attractive...

Good evening. I would certainly support an event at Donnington and probably still go to Beaulieu!
As an aside my late father in 1940/41 was stationed at Donnington whilst in the REME and his job was dismantling A7 scout cars.
Regards
Stuart

FYI
Andy Lowe's suggestion from the thefts thread

Another suggestion as an alternative to Beaulieu could be Donington Park racing circuit. The 750MC have their offices there. They have classic car clubs in the centre for the Historic meeting, which could be used for camping. There is already a campsite attached to the hotel next door. Maybe it could be combined with a 750MC race meeting with an A7 race. There is the museum on site, and an airport next door to encourage overseas club members(!)Handy for the motorways.

Its a great idea from Andy and should be given serious consideration by whoever looks after these things.
I'm repeating my view from the 'thefts' post as its more relevant here.
I would consider traveling from Edinburgh to near Nottingham but not the south coast!
What do others think?

Paul N-M

Thanks Ian, I was beginning to think it was discontinued. A second check of the 750MC website revealed that the list of winners was for 2016.

Thank you, Duncan!

I think the idea of investigating new venues is worthwhile.

The Triumph Register frequently uses The County Showgrounds at Malvern and Harrogate, both interesting towns in their own right.

Camping and showers basic but OK and other accommodation options available in or bear the two towns.

Great giant Sheds at both locations which the traders like.

On the other hand I've just come back from 4 days of corporate hospitality at Goodwood Festival of Speed, along with 200,000 other!

The FOS does themes, can we apply for 2022 , 100th anniversary
Of the Baby Austin ? Perhaps that year it could be Festival of Slowness? The only Austin 7 there this year was Mrs JO JO who cast a sprocket driving the supercharger. The 999 cars there were mostly all a lot, lot faster, faster .

Check out Malvern, nice side trips to the Morgan factory and some Testing hills too!

Regards
Bill G
Scottish Border

probably too far south, but Lord March has a strong Austin 7 connection from his ?grandfather racing - I bet he'd jump at the chance of getting a big Austin meet at Goodwood sometime when the FOS isn't on.

Their Sunday morning breakfast clubs once a month are very successful - free entrance, communal, and they just make their money on food sales and publicity for events.

I enjoy beaulieu and have been doing it every year for the last 17 since I restored my 1925 chummy,usely stay from Friday till sunday afternoon,sat always have a drive out around the new forest,used to camp in a tent but now have a motor home which is a lot easier,there have been some good years and some not so are group are getting smaller and I notice lots missing who used to go.The drive up this year took over 5 hours with lots of slow moveing traffic on the a361 a303 and through Salisbury early July being peak holiday time.Ive always wondered why the Austin rally is at Beaulieu as shurely the home of Austin is Birmingham and longbridge still has Cofton Park,closer to the center of the country plenty of rooms/pubs shops etc and where they were all made.
worth thinking about?The rally there in 2005 was good and why not have the rest of the Austins there as well