Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Body building Course

Hi Duncan

I would be most interested.

Nick Turley

Nick Turley
Hi Duncan

I would be most interested.

Nick Turley

As would I. Although, if you recall our conversation at Harewood a few weeks ago Nick, perhaps I've done enough 'Body Building' !!

Malcolm's interested as well but he's put his comment in the earlier thread!

Steve

Good on you DuncanI hope all goes well, feel free to contact me should you wish to share notes or ask any questions about our experiences running the workshops here in NZ

Thanks for your offer of support, can't ever have too much information.

Every time I see this header I think I am on the wrong Forum !

Cheers, Tony.

You'll have to blame your antipodean chum for that I'm afraid!
I'm not offering anyone the chance to become Mr. Apollo or a Charles Atlas, they'd never get behind the wheel of most sevens.
If you want to "wrestle poodles and win, or look over walls and tease people, even brush them aside like matchsticks" I recommend the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band...

Hi Duncan

Looking at the motley group that are interested in your course, I fear that as the 'teacher' you may have some disruptive pupils!

Really? I was thinking of putting my name down and I'm the epitome of good behaviour.

Although I live in the midlands I do have a caravan. I would be interested.

There seems to be quite a bit of interest. I've had emails from 4 and more interest on the forum.
I have replied to the emailers suggesting a time in early October, by which time I hope to have my new workshop fully set up.

To help me plan what will work best it would help if I knew whether there is just a general interest for techniques to if specific projects are in hand. Both can be accommodated but probably on separate occasions.
A PM to my email below would help, I can then try to draw up a programme which will suit.

Duncan Grimmond
You'll have to blame your antipodean chum for that I'm afraid!
I'm not offering anyone the chance to become Mr. Apollo or a Charles Atlas, they'd never get behind the wheel of most sevens.
If you want to "wrestle poodles and win, or look over walls and tease people, even brush them aside like matchsticks" I recommend the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ubgv0-Nk7o

Duncan,

One of the problems will be that your attendees will have different skill levels and learning speeds, I would suggest for the initial taster day you cover;
Forming a neat flange without use of a bending brake, how how to improvise at home with simply mallets and steel angle
Forming a flange around convex and concave curves, an S curve is good this will entail both shrinking and stretching
Wiring edges, you could wire the flanges already formed.
Forming swages and jodles, don't use machines nobody has them at home.
Forming a basic bowl with sand bag then planishing smooth with hammer and dolly
This will easily take up an entire day (and more!), as you will know this is just scratching the surface but will provide a good foundation. If people want to continue and make it a regular thing then you can expand and look at forming bucks, compound curves, shrinking stretching panels, scribing panels together, butt welding the panels together. We decided to build the Ulster body as a project which will take them through all stages of body construction, we try to focus on techniques that can be done at home with hand tools so avoid using expensive commercial time savers like wheeling machines, swaging jennys etc

Hope this give some ideas.

Back to Tony Press' item - for many years my medical records showed me as a body builder - imagine the shock each time I had to strip off! (Lots of people in UK who know me would no doubt agree). I tried again late last year to have it altered to motor body builder - must check if finally successful. Cheers, Bill

Hugh ,could you send me a mail so I can contact you directly please?

Mid Kent College at Maidstone, Kent, run a Vehicle Restoration course on Tuesday nights 6.30 to 9.30pm, from October. at least three Austin 7 owners present and working on bits and pieces. Facilities include swage, bending brakes, rollers, English wheel, MIG, Oxy and spot welding equipment and a wide range of air tools. £765 for three terms

Barry
Mid Kent College at Maidstone, Kent, run a Vehicle Restoration course on Tuesday nights 6.30 to 9.30pm, from October. at least three Austin 7 owners present and working on bits and pieces. Facilities include swage, bending brakes, rollers, English wheel, MIG, Oxy and spot welding equipment and a wide range of air tools. £765 for three terms

It would only have an English wheel if it wasn't in this country.
The Yanks call it an English wheel.
In this country it has always been a Wheeling Machine.

Charles (grumpy pedant)

My father was a panelbeater and we played on a couple of differing examples of Wheeling Machines as kids. This was southern New Zealand but I never heard of the term English Wheel untill recent decades.
Bruce

Ditto with Charles and Bruce - I used a wheeling machine for over 20 years and sold it (regrettably) when I retired - before learning the Yank version. Another example of them trying to take over the English language. Although it says "Language - English" I constantly have to correct the spelling on my steam machine. Cheers, Bill (another GP).

Its the price we have to pay for the Americans coming to our rescue and saving the the entire world from the Fascists and Communists! lol, still never mind Bill we will soon have to deal with the Chinese spelling

Don't get me started!

I'm well......................I'm good,
transport....................transportation.
lever.......................... levverage (that into position!)
Import....................... importation
travelling................... transitioning (from London to New York)
may I have................. can I get,
arriving in...................arriving into
I like...........................I'm loving

I'm tempted to be-startify my own personalizated grammar and enspellment system, or would that be a lexicographication at this particular present moment in time? Bring back Professor Stanley Unwin !

Then we have one panino two panini, I could go on for hours! I feel like Which Tyler, the revolting pedant...;-)

Back to bodywork, I think that I have a full complement for the first go at this, the likely date will be mid October which I will confirm to those who have expressed an interest.
For the present I will say the list is closed and if it works well there may be follow up courses.

Thanks to all for their interest, I will be in touch when I get back from Puy Notre-Dame.

It never vains, but it pores!

A very interesting link. , thanks.
One I omitted from my hate list is, in every shop or bar:

Good morning ,can I help you?.......has become....are you right there?

Duncan Grimmond

One I omitted from my hate list is, in every shop or bar:

Good morning ,can I help you?.......has become....are you right there?

Bloke on the Fish Counter in our local Supermarket uses that one. I hate it!!

Steve

Oh gawd. My favourite soapbox has set up in my favourite forum. This will not do my blood pressure any good. :-)

'Can I help you?'

'You can, but you may not.'

'You all right there guys?'

'Yes, thank you. But I cannot speak for the ladies.'

'What can I get you guys?'

'Don't you think it would perhaps be more polite to ask the ladies first?'

And please don't get me started on the morons who are unable to start any sentence without using the word 'So,...'

Nick Salmon
Oh gawd. My favourite soapbox has set up in my favourite forum. This will not do my blood pressure any good. :-)

And please don't get me started on the morons who are unable to start any sentence without using the word 'So,...'

or " Right,... "
it infers : I want your immediate attention because I'm going to tell you something so important I'm going to barge right in. There's no subtlety, no diplomacy, no foreplay.

Russel,

Sorry to barge in but getting back to another recent discussion- I like your presumably 'non photo*ucket' avatar- is this the new seven?

Cheers, Tony.

Yes that's the one Tony, we picked it up end of June in time for Beaulieu where it won best top hat. Admittedly not much competition. I did hope to achieve 'longest distance' having driven 300 miles to the event but couldn't compete with the chap who came from Spain! I heard he said "never again".
We're wired for GPS and select all the country lanes, it's amazing how MANY picturesque homes there are, big and small. Also hard to get your head around how long it takes to travel short distances, well it is an Austin 7.
Spares so far consumed 1 magneto, 1 battery, 1 tube, fuel filter, indicator switch, 1 GPS (which has come back to life after I bought a new one), 1 set of better fitting travel luggage (still piled to the roof).
Living the dream, cheers Russel

Sounds like you are really enjoying your trip - well done.

Cheers, Tony.

Hi Russell & Vanda - good to see the trip is going well. Hope you took your Foreign-language Translation Book if you're going to Guildtown! Be glad to see you safe home, if only so you can bank my cheque - I keep thinking I'm much richer than I really am at the moment. Cheers, Bill

Update on spares consumed, I forgot 1 engine exhaust pipe and now 1 bottom fan pulley.
I called in to Ian Bancroft in Grantham today to see if he had copies of invoices for work done in the past on Primrose for previous owners.
I asked him what he thought of the noisy engine (we permanently wear high quality ear defenders whilst driving). Job done, rattley pulley replaced, +new fan belt. No reprieve possible however from the maggy timing gears.
The top hat has narrow suicide doors and a previous owner has installed simple safety chains to prevent the doors flying open. Here I have to admit a lapse in hooking these chains over the door handle and as a result 1 broken window pane, now replaced.
Reputation has it that these R series bodies were fragile and I can vouch for the alarming manner that the door and windscreen apertures dance together, the c.hains are a must.
Actually I'm quite pleased with the performance so far after about 1800 miles.
Sorry to hijack this forum subject, will open a new heading Austin UK Adventures
cheers Russell