Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Yo-Yo ride - Front Shock Absorbers Question.....

Colin Morgan
Hi
I have found this useful to work out what the damper is doing. It should be possible to get the car to bounce at its resonant frequency by pushing down a few times, and then, as you know, this should stop smoothly when you let go in just more than one bounce, if the shock absorber is doing its job. It might be possible to work out if it is too slack or sticking from this.
Regards
Colin

I wonder if a more scientific approach to this would benefit us all?

People with a car with good working S/As.... remove shackle end of S/A from axle; Jack up car and put scales on a suitable platform under end of S/A arm; gradually lower car and note weight when end of arm moves (no doubt other methods of measuring force to move arm could be thought of...........long leaver with spring balance on end pivoted on something with short length end fixed to S/A so small spring balance could be used...etc....etc). Would need to state model of car or better still weight of front..
Eventually a table of models/weights could be built up for putting somewhere permanent on a club forum.

I use a drill press, kitchen scales and a ruler to work out the pound/inches of coil springs.....similar idea.

Quote-Have you had a look at what happens when you bounce the car by pressing down on the bonnet?
YES - big dent in bonnet.....

Dennis

Sandy, For what it is worth.

Depending who one deals with amongst our "cherished suppliers" you can end up with damper discs made of either a Ferodo type material (high friction) or oiled beech wood as per the original components. I have used both across a couple of cars but, with the '29 chummy, (light car) I much prefer the oiled beech wood ones lightly greased. On the ARR Ruby I was quite happy with the Ferodo type discs so never changed from that type.

Ian Mc.

Basically, it seems, there has to be oil/grease in there some where, so there's no gritty friction.
It's raining today*, way down west, but I shall see if I can dismantle the shocker and access the amount of 'slip' on the disc's.

The car live's in a car port, the garage is full of domestic bits and pieces - and A7 spares including another 'A7 project' .