Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help, the rear wheel track is wider than the front!

If it's a Ruby chassis, the rear track is meant to be wider than the front. Track is correctly measured as the width between the centre point of the tyres, where the tyre hits the ground. For a Seven it's 3ft4ins front and rear for a short wheelbase car and 3ft4ins (front) 3ft7ins (rear) for a long wheelbase.

Nick Lettington
Pretty sure the big 7 track rod ends are ball joints... Do the levers attached to the stub axles point towards the centre of the car or outwards?

Hi Nick,

The track rod arms point to the rear and curve in and up. If I swapped them over the track rod would probably touch the chassis.

Hi,

Have I got the arms the wrong way round? I checked the red book and all it said was it was possible to get it wrong, without going on to say what was right. I chose what appeared to be the logical way, but maybe I got the near side on the off side?

I was wondering that, but now don't think so Tony - they'd probably foul the back plates the other way round. I managed to half uncover a spare front axle on which the track rod measures approx 34 1/2 inches between the centres of the pivots. I have emailed you a couple of photos and a parts list which gives the part numbers for off and near side levers. Is the engine out of the car now? I wonder if with no engine, body, radiator full of water etc if the spring is not as flat as it would be under load?

If you want to come over again on Saturday, you're welcome to take a proper look at the yellow peril.

Regards
Nick

Nick Lettington
I wonder if with no engine, body, radiator full of water etc if the spring is not as flat as it would be under load?

Which I realised this morning wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to your axle unless it's made of rubber... it isn't an IFS unit... I was tired...