Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Petrol cars to be banned?

It's nothing to do with government regulation, it's all about economics, the smart money is no longer with fossil fuels. Change will be faster than you think, car companies are already thinking about miles not cars as they will own the fleets of autonomous cars waiting to pick you up and take you down to the pub and then go off and pickup someone else. If you look at the uptake of Uber with the younger generation, car ownership and the need to have a driver's license is not that desirable.

Welcome to the future, our generation will pass soon enough probably well before 2040.

Cheers

Mark

Some food for thought here.

All new Volvo models introduced after 2019 will have electric motors as well as petrol/diesel!

What about Heavy goods vehicles?

What's to become of the enormous Petro chemical industry?

I doubt that vintage or classic cars will get a special dispensation on this.

The Bio option seems to be the sensible solution.

Dave Wheatley

The Bio option seems to be the sensible solution.

Obviously I would agree with that, but someone needs to invent it first... Does anyone have experience of running on ethanol? Wasn't that used in racing cars in them olden days?

Check out Brazil !

Cheers, Tony.

Tony Press
Check out Brazil !

Cheers, Tony.

Thanks Tony. I just had an interesting time on Wikipedia! Perhaps we need to charter a tanker? Actually, we grow a lot of the stuff ourselves, and we're not meant to eat it any more, so why not make sugar beet fuel? It says we may need to re-map out engine management systems, however...

(The allergic please dont read)

I have expected the electric car mania bubble to burst but it grows ever bigger. As with the introduction here of native language babble, electric car promotion has become very PC and livelihood is endangered for many in positions who dare question the logic. The justification here is less CO2 produced. Whilst electric cars reduce local CO2 production over first few years of high use, it is whole of life world CO2 production which really matters.
As with most activity, the real propelling force is the lobby for business opportunity, profit, and political profile achievable from support. In these days of terrorism, including cyber terrorism, any nation which makes its whole transport system dependent on the National grid would be nuts.
There is a vast amount of fossil fuel remaining, and would be even more if it were not for the Yanks running Dodge Rams to fetch the groceries.
Re CO2, the biofuel argument seems to assume the land used to grow would otherwise be concreted over.

As far as fate of the hobby goes, Sevens and other older cars devoid of electronics and complex degradable plastic components and being models economic of fuel, are the ones most likely to continue to attract any interest at the base level.

I read in the paper the other day that an electric car burnt out whilst being charged overnight.

As the margin shrinks between generating capacity in the UK and peak demand, it appears that we are to replace the energy currently available in petrol and diesel with energy from the grid. A few simple calculations show that this new demand to be placed on generation and distribution will be enormous. I have yet to learn of any plans to solve such short-fall as we march steadily towards our first brown-outs and black-outs.

If you have a stationary engine under the bench, now is the time to dust it off and get it rigged up with a generator!! It will soon be needed for your modern's batteries!!
Ron

Just flicking through one of the modern motoring magazines while waiting at the docs,Autocar I think. It made depressing reading,at one end of the scale there's the 600 bhp Jaguar,4 massive exhaust pipes,another company introducing 4 wheel steering for stability.
The other end calls for more 20mph zones,Pay as you drive, Volvo introducing a new brand for their electric vehicles.
Glad I got called in.

Cars will charge when there is capacity for instance charging may start at 1:00am so we do not need anymore capacity we will however use more power overall. Which means lots more off shore wind farms (for the UK), they are experimenting with using the same technology as the floating oil rigs.

My wife still rides horses so we will still drive our Austin Sevens the masses will go electric.

Mark, regarding capacity: just do the sums. Regarding when: it will be when the battery is low plus where you have managed to find a place to charge - and where there isn't a big queue!
Big investment going into cars and batteries but not into sufficient generation or the infrastructure electric cars will demand.

You plug your car at home or on the street, the charging will not happen until there is capacity. If it is to work the charging has to be smart, most electric car owners charge at home and they choose to charge when the power is cheapest although this will become automated, charging stations only supply about 20%. As most new models will go 200 miles plus it does not need to charge daily.

Lastly a tesla (large electric car) uses about 200w/h per km most people travel on average only about 30km per day commute which is only 6kWh/day that is the same as small electric heater for 2 1/2 hours at 1:00am. The savings of converting the street lighting to LEDs will just about cover it and if you have a bit of roof space 6kWh per day is a small system although you will need home batteries to charge your car at night but that is another story. By the way I generate on average 19kWh/day from my home solar it's like owning your own oil well and currently not taxed but that may change.

Ah there is a little advertised scheme called Short Term Operating Reserve STOR. Any body with some spare cash can build one using containerised truck engines driving generators, you give the keys to the National Grid and get paid so much for stand by and running.

I have read of a scheme whereby electric cars are used to store electricity to feed back into the grid when needed. Same principle as the pumped storage hydro schemes.

Our lovely little cars will run on anything that goes bang when sparked, as owners found in the second world war. We just need a bit of creativity and ingenuity, often shown on this forum. Homebrew alcohol anyone?