Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Specials on Ebay now

Tony
Another one!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Austin-Seven-Special-1936-Nut-and-Bolt-Rebuild-Chassis-number-N1-Superb-Detail/232376172033?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D44760%26meid%3D80947697930c4eaf9206e80144e90e9f%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D112458854692

only 1600 miles from new! Probably still got the salesman's mints down the side of the seat.

Seems to have v. poor eyesight. Car not salesman.

I don't think you can apply 'once bitten..' to the blue one, surely?

1. it's registered
2. it's been used and fettled in the past, so has a history
3. it's lovely...

If it gets much more expensive though, why bother having a special at all?

I agree with everything you say, Jon; I was all set to put a bid in, but it's gone beyond what I am prepared to pay ...

JonE
I don't think you can apply 'once bitten..' to the blue one, surely?

1. it's registered
2. it's been used and fettled in the past, so has a history
3. it's lovely...

If it gets much more expensive though, why bother having a special at all?

I agree, it is lovely. Interesting that its back on the market.

Chris Roberts
Fortunately I won't have to worry about height. Width.... well that's another matter!!

I hope to pick up tomorrow and see what I have actually done

How is your new pride and joy?

I picked the car up and it looks all good so far but I haven't had much time with it yet and have not even sat in it yet! I have a feeling it's going to be quite a learning experience and I am starting by joining a club and getting a book! At the a week now but when I am back I will do photo.

Which book Chris, remember some stuff was written a long time ago so consider the context of when written, for example the Companion and Bill Williams, both have plenty of good stuff but also some questionable advice and what we know know are errors. Woodrow is probably essential if you are new to Sevens, and if you can be bothered trawling through the forum there are some absolute gems on here if you can find them. I believe you have brought a good car, one that recommissioned properly will give you a lot of pleasure. Remember some things said about sevens is simply folk law, Argumentum ad Ignorantiam

I am starting with the 750MC companion in the hope that it will contain some basic clues as to what went where and how it joined up . The car I have has been altered all over the place ( although cos I don't actually know what it started like I am only guessing) so I am expecting that the bok won't be too much help. The doesn't seem to have any water pump or cooling fan (I see fan blades on ebay so I guess at least some had some forced air cooling) there is no hand crank just a stubby shaft with no obvious slots or cuts for a starting handle (I reckon it was cut off fir the body to fit but it foes seem a very good clean cut) no oil dipstick ( that I can find) and of course it has a pair of SU carbs. i have no idea if/how the bakes or chassis have been modified but the wheels look smaller diameter than the ones on standard 7's but wider.

I think I am going to be asking some very very basic questions before I actually get much further. I will keep an eye out for the book you recommend

I think this could be fun (or not!)

Chris

If you can post some photo's of you car someone on the forum will identify what you have built in ,or not to your car.
One thing with a special is you don't have to worry about originality issues,Just concentrate on making a car that pleasing on the eye and fun to drive.

there are a good load of photos in the second link down in the first very first post.
Bowdenex, Cambridge head, West London wheels.

Just change the oil and try and start the darn thing... and get it to your local A7 club meet as soon as possible and let them answer all your questions in return for halves of bitter....