Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Does my cut out need repairing?

Here's the short version - The dynamo works and has passed all tests. It passes a charge to D on the cut out. The ignition light remains on, the ammeter def works and shows a 4 amp discharge when engine running, more if light on. If I connect the battery to A on the cut out I only need to touch it gently and the contacts close. If I start the engine the contacts remain closed. If I disconnect the battery and put 7 volts through the d+ contact on the cut out nothing happens. The contacts can be pushed shut but immediately open again. If I put 13 volts through it the cut out closes and opens with every contact. The ignition light only comes on if its earthed to the car, but remains on anyway.
Seems to me the cut out needs recalibrating?
Comments please?

Re: Does my cut out need repairing?

Would be worth making sure that you have a really good earth connection to the cut out. From your description it sounds like there's a problem with the voltage coil, they usually work or they don't, but a bad earth would give the symptoms you describe.

Re: Does my cut out need repairing?

I had the same problem,it was cured by running a separate wire from the cut out box to earth. The cut out would not earth from casing to bulkhead as it is supposed to.