Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1932 RN Wiring Diagram

Andrew, wiring diagrams received with many thanks. I was in North Holland last week on holiday and had intended to visit Crucuius but it was a little too far away from Schagen so has been saved for another day.
Thanks for the kind offer to see both machines, we are frequent (but not frequent enough) visitors to the Netherlands so shouldn't be too long.
Kind regards, Brian (and Sue)

I am the author of the Ruby wiring diagram hosted by the Dorset A7 club. I hope some time to sit down and do another for the earlier cars. By coincidence I visited the Cruquius pumping station last week on the way through the Netherlands to Denmark by motorhome. It is a work of art and well worth making a detour to see.

Hi John.

Wheel it on please. The ideal outcome. Most sources are woefully lacking in circuit diagrams and so make the very simple seem complex. Unless experienced with electrical work and able to visualise in their head, most will find it necessary to draw a circuit diagram before fault tracing or making alterations, and a published diagram avoids the d.i.y tedium.

In any assembly of key articles John’s Ruby diagram should certainly feature. Furthermore John has updated his drawing to clarify and correct, a feature lacking in many other articles.

Another key electrical article is the Cornwall Club “ A Charging Refresher” which ideally requires renaming “Austin Seven Charging Circuits” or suchlike so in the vast mass of info it is not bypassed as being about battery rejuvenation. Ideally that article needs a more clear association of the diagrams and words, and, as repeatedly pointed out by Tony P, alteration to eliminate the confusion about two stage charging on early models.

I am having real problems rewiring the (1934 pattern) replacement ignition switch on my 1932 Box Saloon. Would the wiring diagram mentioned above throw light on the problem? - which essentially centres around the Half/Full charge dilemma.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Anthony

The first thing to do is to identify the type of dynamo fitted, which in turn defines the location of the full/half charge resistor. It should, theoretically, be possible to fit a later ignition switch to an earlier car, but, like so many things A7, theory doesn't always suffice!

The article mentioned by Bob above http://www.austin7.org/Technical%20Articles/A%20Charging%20refresher/ is a good starting point.

Thanks very much Rick. I believe that the dynamo is a C35C which has two brushes. It was refurbished a few years ago and seems to work well. I shall digest the article to which you referr in the next day or two, but as my knowledge of electrics in general and car electrics in particular is very poor, I will have to read it VERY SLOWLY!
Best wishes,
Anthony

Hi Anthony

The Ruby diagram is very close to the RP and the inner workings of the rotary switch are made apparent. If the original switch has been replaced by a simple version without the Summer facility then there are posts covering that.

A 2 brush dynamo indicates mods, with all the confusion which goes with these if not documented with the car. Car may or may not retain a two stage facility, or may have acquired a regulator of some sort etc, all of which can make it difficult for amateurs.