Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: eBay Austin Seven

Al
All this information is very helpful and much appreciated!

Looking around £5000 which is why the eBay one seemed "buyable" I will of course start going to my local meets and asking around!

Not looking for mint condition but at least a car that's mechanically sound and able to get out the garage!

If anyone has any adverts they think are suitable then please message.

Cheers guys

hi al,

Be careful on your budget, it is in a rang were people are asking to much for cars that will cost you too much to put right.

Not trying to upset any opal owners, but they do tend to sell at the lowest price of all open top 7s. Realy nice ones tend to sell for the £8k bracket.

This one is getting closer to your budget now, and would probably another £6k to make it an £8k car

Most people on here know I supply parts for these cars, and I don't want to see you fall into the same trap as everyone before you. That have paid to much, without knowing what it will cost to put things right.

First thing is those seats look like they need doing, unless you can do them yourself. To have them done properly is £700. Or you will find yourself like the last person here, advertising for seats with good coverings, there are plenty out there needing recovering. But very few ready to fit. And when you find them ready to fit they will probably be £300 to £400.

That's just one job, now start adding up all the others. And there are plenty.

do your homework before you buy, especially if it needs work.

It will save you in the long run.

If you want to know what the new parts will cost you, check all the cherished suppliers websites. there all on the forum.

If you want to know what some of the used parts will cost, call me during the week.

Tony.

Hi Alex,

We are members of the 'North Hampshire Austin Enthusiasts Group' we meet at the 'New Inn' at Heckfield on the second Monday of each month, from about 19.30.
http://www.nhaeg.org.uk/
Best Wishes, John Bennett

Thanks Tony, for reiterating what I said earlier. My first Austin seven was a Ruby bought from a reputable dealer , Unknown to me a complete novice it was a death trap, full of rot and completely knackered. I rebuilt that car to the condition where Robin Lawton stated in his sales spiel when he later sold it ,that it was the probably the best example of a Ruby that he had ever seen. (Robin I do have a copy of the brochure.) It took me ten years , a lot of money and heart ache.
Al, go into this with your eyes open and preferably with somebody who knows what they are looking at.

hi derek, been there dont it as well.

ian is correct in his words about the car looking a good start.

but my fears for al, is withe a budget of £5k its looking like the car is going to cost at least that. so there is nothing left for rebuild work.

the wireing looks like someone was trying to copy the london underground map.

a new loom is probably £100+ for a good quality one. some on the market are only part looms to cover more models, so it will then cost more than you think to do the job.

problem 3, how good is the engine, (does it even run). ive seen far to many people on here, after running around getting prices for an engine rebuild. then realising the parts alone come to £1,500 to £3,000 + labour another £1,500 to £2,00. then trying to squeeze a reliant engine into a car just because they can get hold of one for £300.

as i sed, i supply parts for 7s, i cant sell them for nothing or even give them away. just because you blew your full wad on a car that needs thousands spending on it

Hi Alex,

I'm sure you'll have already checked this out, but just incase you haven't, here's a few background checks I've done - the DVLA have it as 'Untaxed' (in a red box) the tax having been due on 16th January 2017, suggesting it must have been taxed immediately prior to that date and therefore have a current V5c though strangely the seller doesn't seem to mention that important fact - worth asking if he has the V5c in his name, if not I'd be a bit suspicious.

The 'Untaxed' (in a red box) suggests the current owner who claims to have bought the car 5 months ago has failed either to re-tax it or SORN it as he is legally obliged to do even though it's tax free - a frequent mistake many people make. Date of first registration is given as January 2003 - this is probably the date when it's original registration DOF 563 was reclaimed from the DVLA.

The registration DOF 563 doesn't feature on the A7CA Chassis Register - suggesting the car has never previously been owned by an A7CA affiliate Austin Seven Club member.

The registration DOF 563 was issued by Birmingham between May and June 1937 - if you are going to view the car or contact the seller ask what the chassis number given in the V5c is - as a very rough guide chassis numbers (i.e chassis build dates) in mid March 1937 were around 267000's and by early July 1937 had reached 275000's.

Which ever way you decide, whether to bid or not, the very best of luck.

Jeff.

Location: Almost but not quite, the far North East of England

Jeff, Tony, Derek, John, Jon, Ben and David,

Thank you for all the information, help and advice over the past few days, it's all very much appreciated.

I think instead of rushing straight into a purchase I will go to a few meets, first starting with NHAEG on Mon 14 Aug.

I appreciate the Opal on EBay is not in showroom condition but at present I'm just looking for a mechanically sound 7 as a starting point. If any of you do know of anything suitable then don't hesitate to message!

Hopefully may meet some of you soon.

Kindest regards,

Alex

Hey Al
You sound like a wise person, I would strongly suggest that you get someone who knows their sevens to go and look with you at any potential cars.
As already earlier said an honest scruffy car is a nice start.

All the best with your quest.

Hi Al
I'm far from an expert but if I can help in any way I have a 1934 box saloon and also live in Aldershot (well within 200 yds!)
Regards Richard