Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 1938/1939 rear axle dilemma.

Tony
Too late as already have the SKF6207........I didn't think about it at the time of ordering.

Will however be putting in prop front end ball with one shield on front of bearing.

In SKF inch series bearings the number indicates the bore in 1/8 of an inch hence 11 is 11 x 1/8" = 1 3/8".

Cheers, Tony.

Tony Press
In SKF inch series bearings the number indicates the bore in 1/8 of an inch hence 11 is 11 x 1/8" = 1 3/8".

Cheers, Tony.

Aaah. Another grain of knowledge to be taken in. Thanks

Bob Culver
Hi Dennis
.012 does seem excessive if due “wear” and probably not prudent to reuse even with packing, although from the few I have seen seems the nut often loose and the spacer worn which would account for.

The inner track each of the 38MJT25 pair looks rather worn and scored so I expect that is where the end float is caused.

I did tighten the nut up a little ( about 3 degrees of turn to check if spacer between thrust pair and roller had "shrunk" a bit but no difference.

I am a retired electronics professional and my mechanical engineering knowledge has only been gained over the years from playing with old cars and reading up on various aspects and some from experience when working on our ships on the mechanical bits involved with the electronics e.g. radar scanners and various sizes electric motors etc.
So my mechanical engineering knowledge is quite well down the information scale!
I have a medium size lathe but lack the skill/knowledge to do anything really meaningful/skilful with it and certainly not precision work!!

Dennis