Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Bending exhaust pipes

It is curious but original road test and present owners generally indicate a performance from the RN as at least as good As RP despite lower c.r and updraught carb. Unless the low cr head breathes better, the exhaust seems to be the difference.(Quoted hp may not be the maximums.)

Can anyone advise the i.d of original RN tailpipe?
Ditto RP?
And the construction of original silencer or effective aftermarket ones?

Before anyone gets carried away with sand I can recall my father for some reason making a new front pipe that way. It involved a lot of heating of the sand to dry and repeated thorough compacting. The final heat was against firebricks with plumbers blowlamps (kero and white spirit). Welding of standard bends etc would now be far more simple, if not so pretty.

Re: Bending exhaust pipes

Just to update the forum, I got a friend of mine to cut and weld the new pipe to match the original, and weld the end back on to the original pipe I had to cut to remove from the car, which had only surface rust on examination. The replacement pipe needs some slight adjustment so the original has been used until the engine is run in. I now have another pipe that will need the same treatment and a possible place to have it bent.

Looking back over the thread I notice in my July 24 (3.51) posting I borrowed an 'i' from Ruairidh's name to use elsewhere and forgot to say - sorry Ruairidh!