Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: FITTING VALVE COLLETS

Thanks for the replies and advice. Job now done. Report to follow. Watch this space.
Vince

This problem has obviously been keeping you up at night Vince!

This is one of those jobs where upsidedown Varifocals (as worn by a famous snooker player)are needed.
Brian

Over a decade ago I first experienced the delights(?) of trying to fit upside down collets and got the raving hump over the experience. Even tried glue on tweezers with little joy. Gave up and purchased a set of pin type valves, cups, and pins and have never looked back, still alive and kicking (both me and the pin system) and had no trouble using this system as used on Rubies for a year or two before returning to the prehistoric collet system. Collets are fine for OHV engines but the only thing guaranteed with upside down collets is an early heart attack.
Peter.

The Austin Motor Co obviously thought about this problem early on. In the Austin Seven List of Spare parts Fifth Edition 353d under the tools section there is illustrated what they describe as 'Valve Cotter Tongs'. They look rather like sugar tongs but the ends are shaped to take the cotters. They cant have been much of a success as they dont appear in later Spare Parts Lists and for that matter, neither are they in earlier Lists. Later on you could buy patented Cotter Pliers made by I believe Scrivener, these are a bit of a fiddle and I still prefer the dab of grease method, which has always been satisfactory and quick for me.