Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Practical Classics magazine

The earlier A7s ran on unleaded as standard because I don't believe that leaded petrol became available until about 1936.( not that I can remember!)
Brian

Collector's edition sounds better but what extras do you get for £20 apart from a more appropriate illustration ?

is it a rehash of the royal blue covered Practical Classics Austin 7 resto special from 1990s?

JonE
is it a rehash of the royal blue covered Practical Classics Austin 7 resto special from 1990s?

Definitely not.

Steve

I really do think these PC people have poor to nil marketing skills.
As Chairman of the A7CA I contacted them several weeks ago requesting details of the publication and asking whether we might assist in marketing and selling it, offering to take a quantity at a competitive price for selling on.
I got absolutely nowhere with them and in the end I gave up.

You would think that in publishing a book on the Austin Seven they would make every effort to contact both Clubs and the Association!

Chris Garner

On eBay from 3 sellers, all with multiple copies. Priced from £9.79 to £9.99 with free postage.

It seems there is very little difference between the Collectors' edition and the one you can buy over the counter - certainly not enough to warrant what I paid - doh! The front cover is different; it has a limited edition number out of 300 printed on the front; you get a 'free' A2 sized poster with a picture of a fabric bodied racing special and a Chummy, and on the other side a cut-away drawing of the Chummy. The content appears to be the same.

If you are not in the UK and cannot wait until it is available locally you can try here

https://www.greatmagazines.co.uk/practical-classics-specials

it was $20.96 AUD delivered.

I'm not sure how long it will take as the publishing industry seem not to have got it regarding any sort of urgency.

I've ordered a 'collector's edition' too as I like to have a pristine and more 'beaten-up' and in some cases oily version of any reference book as long as its relatively cheap!

That point conveniently takes me to Chris Garner's issue.Obviously any profit orientated organisation's main remit is to make money and in these cost cutting days they probably want to do this with the least administrative hassle. BUT I don't agree with them and think they miss out on many important details, issues and sales as a result. As stated previously, I've only had a brief look at the booklet and find it under plays the amount of support especially from this website and that of clubs such as the Cornwall A7 Club who offer great guidance for technical problems on their website. Hopefully I'll be corrected on this point by someone who has read the booklet more thoroughly. The amount of support especially for the lone restorer is phenomenal now especially when I compare it to that of 50 years ago when I undertook my first restoration and this is obviously one (? of the few) great attributes of the worldwide web.

Despite all this I generally think that the publication is a very good buy, I can certainly recommend it.

Chris Garner
I really do think these PC people have poor to nil marketing skills.
As Chairman of the A7CA I contacted them several weeks ago requesting details of the publication and asking whether we might assist in marketing and selling it, offering to take a quantity at a competitive price for selling on.
I got absolutely nowhere with them and in the end I gave up.

You would think that in publishing a book on the Austin Seven they would make every effort to contact both Clubs and the Association!

Chris Garner

In the magazine industry it seems that the editorial/publishing teams are increasingly separated from the distribution/sales side.

The distributors have the upper hand and seem unwilling to go outside their normal channels whatever they may be told by the publishers. Sales opportunities specific to a subject area a consequently lost. Their focus is on shelf space in the majors and little else.

To me it seems an unhealthy situation and one that is unlikely to foster publications that have some value.

'Books' published 'book publishers' are different. They are far more flexible.

Mark,

Copy ordered - thanks.

Cheers, Tony.

I was surprised to see it in W H Smiths at the airport,That was 3 weeks ago,Ive only flicked through it but the engine rebuild article is pretty comprehensive in photo's and written content.Enough so I think to encourage someone to have a go at a rebuild at home.
It's good that the Practical Classics technical editor is so enthusiastic about the 7,all helps maintain interest in our little cars.