Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: SU Carb on "Ulster" Replica (Starting Problem)

My 1931 saloon which has a side draught 1 1/8" SU operating on gravity feed from the scuttle tank, starts instantly on full choke after which the choke can be pushed in. It is on 12 volts which spins the engine round nicely and I do use super grade unleaded.
One of the many benefits of the SU carb is easy starting, there are no fiddly jets to become blocked.
If neat petrol or easy start spray is needed to fire the engine, there must be a problem either with petrol getting to the carburettor jet or alternatively, an ignition problem. If you have an in-line fuel filter I would remove it, I have never found them necessary with the SU.
I would also fit a starter, hand cranking is no fun when the engine stalls in busy traffic!

Actually it's stalling in traffic which is my biggest concern but getting the necessary parts to add a starter motor is proving difficult (or expensive). I think I'll just go over everything again including the carb and timing then, if all else fails, get a can of easy-start.

Is your Mini SU one of those with a little flexible pipe feeding the base of the jet? If so it could be the problem. I would check to see whether it is perished or restricted. I have never used one, the SU's on my cars are pre-war!

If everything is correct your car will start instantly, in good condition and properly set up A7's are generally very easy starting cars irrespective of the carb. If the problem is carburation I would suggest low fuel level, wrong needle meaning the jet is set too high to compensate and starting mixture will then be weak, or the enriching device (choke) is not working.
low compressions, worn valve seats, ignition faults will all cause problems