Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Change forum / new board from 11th of August

Dear valued friends of the austinsevenfriends forum,

as planned we are now about to change the forum away from Bravenet but we need the changeover to be as seamless as possible.

So we are writing to tell you the plan:

Obviously we don’t want to sacrifice any information from the old board, but we can’t just transfer the data into the new system (Bravenet doesn’t allow this to be done when we leave).

So we have backed up the entire board from the frontend. The tool basically saves all the pages by searching for data, this takes 3 days each run and we have performed the operation twice so we are confident the system is ready to go.

The saved old board looks the same, but the functionality is very limited.
The board is searchable, but it is in “view only” mode.
Therefore, we will copy and paste the last/newest threads to the new board, so they can be edited and answered.

To do this we need to take down the Bravenet old forum, lock it, and stop any additional posts.

With all these constraints, Please find enclosed the plan and time frame.:

Old board expires 17th August; 3 days needed for back up; 1-2 days needed for copy/paste newest threads;

this makes a lock date of 11Th August.

So we will put the old board into “view only” – mode on Friday, 11th August in the late afternoon.

And then we have some work over the weekend, deleting the old Bravenet site by 18th of August.
The new forum is already up and running, so you can switch over to the new board any time from now and register.

The new forum is reachable via the following link:
http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

Please register yourself prior using the forum, posting and editing only is available to registered users. This should keep spam away.

The archived board is presently dated 11th May, but you can already check the functionality.

To start it up, please follow the procedure written in the archive box on the new forum link enclosed (registered users only), you may well decide that perhaps it is better to start using the new system from now on?

The thtreads/posts already up at the new board were used to test the best way of transfering the last posts prior closing the old forum. It'll give you an idea, how we will set them up.

Advantages

We have set up different categories on the start pages, so it will be more organized and easier making or finding info i.e. about events or repair procedures.

We can also back up the entire message board, this means, it is movable to another hoster or could even be implemented into a new website.

We will change the forum link on the websites to the new board around 9th August, but as reach the old board via the direct link anyway.

Well, see you all over at the new board, kind regards

The Management

Re: Change forum / new board from 11th of August

Good to see that something has happened, and that image upload seems to have been taken care of. Although they have to be under 500k so will have to be resized before being uploaded?

Can I ask what the decision process was around the sub forums? They seem a bit confusing and possibly not needed.
One of the nice things about this forum is (was?) that all the topics are in one place.

Also a real shame that the old forum threads haven't been properly imported, with a bit of time and work it can be done. (Speaking as someone ho has done this multiple times for large forums as part of my job!)

There are some odd posts in the "Help, I need somebody, help..." and "Nice to know" all from Management last year that then seem to have replies in them from other people within in the posts themselves.

So we have just 4 days from the announcement to the date the site is locked. Not very long, is it?

Also, 'The Management' opening post is all very well but WHO exactly is making these changes and with who else have the changes been discussed and finally agreed?

Surely we are all entitled to know, especially if something should go wrong with the transfer?

Hi
Cannot seem to get an email back to myself to complete registration on the new site.

Nick Turley

Nick Turley
Hi
Cannot seem to get an email back to myself to complete registration on the new site.

Nick Turley

Likewise!

And me

I wonder how much the requirement to register will put off the casual/infrequent viewer/contributor? It would be a shame if the more eclectic posters were deterred.

Nick Turley
Hi

Nick Turley

Hi Nick,

this occurs manually at the moment - new system with new procedures for us to learn...

Austin
Can I ask what the decision process was around the sub forums? They seem a bit confusing and possibly not needed.
One of the nice things about this forum is (was?) that all the topics are in one place.

Austin I checked the new forum, as a forum I used to use had boards, but also had a 'latest posts' button which brought up threads in all boards ordered by latest post exactly as we see the 'old' forum. I couldn't see anything of the sort, but since logging in there are 3 buttons top right 'open buddy list', 'view new posts', and 'view todays posts'. 'New posts' seems to bring up a list of topics ordered by latest post, but only since I logged in. 'Todays posts' does the same but only including the posts that day (As the name suggests).

I hope that the 'Todays posts' can be extended to include posts from previous days to give the required result.

I tried to register and received a reply (an hour or so later) 'that you've successfully unsubscribed to the Austin 7 Friends Website and you won't receive any more reminders !' Not the best of starts or very reassuring !

I can confirm you are a fully registered member James and would suggest that you have (inadvertently?) unsubscribed from reminders.

I'm still waiting for an email link to activate my registration... I guess you ave a few to do?

You are already activated Nick - automatic activation appears to be on.

Yes, I registered - still waiting for an email, but was able to post and change my profile details etc. Seems to be working well (fingers crossed!)

Rick

I've asked for the coding and have been waiting 27 hrs now. It's a pain when you haven't a clue what is going on.

I can confirm that you are activated on the New Forum Derek and that you last visited it 5 hours ago - all looks good this end. 👍