Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Driving on a broken half sharft... an urban myth?

What a great day I had at brighton. Must have met a million people , and still didn't speak to all I wanted to. However as I put the car into gear to go home ...Nothing!! I had been shafted....shall I tell you a story? Mac

Re: Driving on a broken half sharft... an urban myth?

Well , I expected some one to say that they had driven a car home after some quick tempory surgery.. i will tell you about the trip home. I have got it to bits .N/S broke right on the taper. As it is the first on on this car in over 45 years I have decided the treat my self to 2 new ones from tony Leslie.

Re: Re: Driving on a broken half sharft... an urban myth?

I did it in c.1961 by putting a wheel nut in the gap and bunging the hub back on. It works just but the car suffers from power (!) on and off steering whic makes it unsuitable for any distance above 1/2 a mile

Not a myth. Just occasionally the broken halfshaft will move inwards by itself and lock up the diff. thereby enabling motion to continue, albeit with 1 wheel drive.

I broke my halfshaft on the way from Cornwall to Scotland last July. Fortunately, I and several others in the Cornwall club, carry a 3/4" Ball bearing in our spares kit although I must say we had never used them before.

Mine broke in Illminster, so having pushed the broken shaft in and put the ball bearing into the space to keep it in the hub was reassembled and we were able to drive the 50 miles approx to Bradford on Avon where our first nights accommodation was situated. Very good planning this as it was literally a stones throw from the Seven Workshop and the Austineers. Both of whom were a great help.

The trick to drive on one wheel is to accelerate slowly as the car will tend to steer to one side and when you come to slow down dip the clutch and use the brakes not the engine to slow down as this will slew the car in the opposite direction. We kept our speed down to 35 - 40 mph. It is no myth, I and many others before me had done likewise.

If you haven't got a 3/4" ball then a well greased wheel nut will do.

Not a myth. It happened to me in 1996, just a month after becoming a Seven owner.I wished I'd listened to the advice given not to use first gear !! I'm sure the poor clutch work on first gear starts did it. My off-side half shaft pulled in and locked up nicely. It made for some interesting driving as the car lurched towards the centre of the road when the clutch was let out, but quite driveable for some distance if necessary.

Goodness me Mac, thread started in '05, picked up almost to the day in '07, "....what goes around, comes around."

I thought Malcom had this 'myth' recently as well?

Sandy

Sandy,

If you were not looking at your PC through the bottom of a pint glass you would see that I have indeed revealed my 'myth' or should it be a 'mythtake' !