Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin seven versus Speed camera.

Whilst driving OY26 briskly up the A24 to Jason's to lend it to him to do the Fair Procession, at an indicated 48 m.p.h.< my speedo at that time went up to this indicated top speed even if I thought I was going faster> I went through a 60m.ph. speed camera.As I passed over the "lines" a Nissan pulled abreast of me and exactly as it passed at a rate of knots .The camera flashed. Will I get a speeding ticket??, as it obviousely took a pic of both cars. Just wondered... P.S Jason tells me that whist using the car it has now started to indicate a top speed of 55!

Re: Austin seven versus Speed camera.

Hello Mac,
I don't think you have to worry - The lines you mention are a double check for 'The Authorities'. The camera flashes twice with a set time gap, and the number of lines you cross indicates the distance you have travelled within that time gap - Hence they can calculate your MPH.
As for Nissan Man, he activated the Gatso and will have travelled further than you in that set time, so will be getting a nice little earner letter from the local police !
If you should get a letter yourself, I believe you deserve a medal for exceeding 60 in a Seven Box !
PS. What is Jason's job ? ? ?
Edward

Ohh,Ooh, I've got a story about speeding. I had been to Croydon Airport in my chummy, with my uncle Eric, who took me for a flight in his tiger Moth. I was keen to get home to have tea with Auntie Maudie in wallington. I was driving down the Purley way, when I was stopped by one of those Fierce traffic POlice motor cyclists on his triumph. He said I was doing 32 m.p.h.. This time he would give me a warning. If he saw me again ,he would take down my particulars.,and there would be consequences... Lucky Escape chaps.. Tigs

Jason And I were having a cuppa with Jon Milne at longbridge when he told us 2 people had got speeding tickets on the London to brighton! One was Cliff Cummings of Oxted in his 1927 Chummy...36 m.p.h in a 30 limit. I spoke to him . He tried to plead "disbelief" but they would not weaken! The other was s guy who had just brought a cabriolet. I believe it was his first run,,

>> Following the Government's Freedom of Information Act, you can now
get
>> access to speed camera offences registered in the last 12 months.
>>
>> Did you know that every time your car goes past a speed camera even
>> MPH over the set limit, it is registered and put on a database??
>>
>> You only get a ticket if you are way over the limit or, (this is the
bit
>> we didn't know) if you receive 20 near misses, you will be classed a
>> serial offender and get a ticket the next time you go over the limit.

>> This is why you hear of some people being done for 34 mph in a 30
zone
>> and others not being done for going at 39 mph. You can check if there
is
>> anything against your vehicle at the following address
>>
>> http://www.e-database.co.uk
>>
>> You will be asked for a password, but just click on the need a
password
>> link and you will be given one for future use.
>>
>> If there is any data on your vehicle, you can click on the camera
window
>> to see a copy of the photograph. This photo will come in handy if you

>> challenge any charges.

That's not very friendly, it's a spoof once you click on the view picture tab for your alleged offence!

Naomi

In answer to Mac's original post, I might be able to give some advice if he can give me a bit more detail. There are different types of speed cameras about and they're not all Gatsos.
First of all, were you flashed in the face, or from behind?
How many times did the flash activate?
Can you remember whether there were any secondary check marks on the carriageway, such as three narrow transverse lines very close together, or a set of ladder like marks extending for some distance past the camera location? (this helps to indentify the type of equipment)

If you can clarify these points I might be able to give you a definitive, rather than anecdotal response. I hate to admit it, but I have a fairly detailed knowledge of such things due to my experiences in a former life!