Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Electric Water Pumps

Has anyone tried using electric water pumps to circulate cooling water in their A7? I have an Ashley 750 with a cross flow radiator and so need a water pump.
Davies Craig produce a water pump (£130) and a booster pump (£89), and Jon Pressnell mentions a MB W124 auxiliary water pump, in his latest A7 special article. I have also seen a Rochdale bodied A7 special at the 2004 Longbridge rally, which used an electric water pump, but I did not get to meet the owner.
Does anyone have any experience or tips they can pass on?

Re: Electric Water Pumps

Give me acall on 01269 850528 as i have used a 24v pump off a p s v bus //

David,

Have a look at this ....

http://www.daviescraig.com.au/main/display.asp?pid=9

At least it gives some very learned gen on the topic even if you do not wish to purchase one all the way from Oz. (Actually I think you can source one in UK from Demon Tweeks)

Mike

Re: Re: Electric Water Pumps

One of the bits that still works on Bruce's site...

http://www.austinseven.org.au/Water_Pump_Addition.htm

Regards

Charles

Re: Re: Re: Electric Water Pumps

Well done Charles, I knew that I had seen that article somewhere, and could not find it for David the other evening.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Electric Water Pumps

Thanks for the link, found it a long time ago and have been looking for it since. Only concern with these pumps (apart from cost), is that the motor life is only 2000 hours, and I will probably need to run it continuously as I have a cross flow radiator.
Other thoughts are washing machine pump with 12V fan motor. There is mention of something similar on Speedex site, but I have not looked at it any further yet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Electric Water Pumps

Hi David
If you are looking for an alternative be aware of the fairly high temperatures reached. Several years ago a friend of mine used a small caravan water system pump to circulate water through an air to water heat exchanger on a turbocharged modern car. The pump was cheap, but seemed to struggle with the temps reached. Just something else for you to think about!!
Regards
Steve.

What sort of flow rate is required for the A7 engine. Does anyone know what flow is achieved by the standard thermo-syphoning system? I cannot imagine it's that great.

Some modern turbo cars have an electric water pump that circulate coolant when engine switched off to avoid hot spots occuring.
Volvo is the most common you will find in scrap yards (400 series).
They can be found low down on nearside - just follow radiator pipes !

Paul Humphries.