Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Restoration advice

When carrying out a restoration should the hardware i.e.
nuts and bolts etc be painted or left with a natural steel finish.

Re: Restoration advice

Hi, From a personal perspectve and as a choice I paint them if they are mild steel. I have seen lovely restorations spoilt by rusty nuts. But I Have assembled them with stainless steel fixings and left them unpainted. Mac Have a happy holiday

I have seen a 1929 Chummy with about 15,000 miles on the clock - the engine has never been out of the car and the original silver paint is still on the engine to chassis bolt heads. I think that AMCo would have given the steel & iron parts of the assembled engine a coat of paint, nuts and all. Like Mac, I always paint everything that is mild steel.
David

Like Mac, I have left my replacement stainless hardware, natural, but anything Mild / steel is painted over.

Sandy

Thats torn it ! What primer do I need to paint the gold plated bits . MacG .

Re: Re: Restoration advice

Most of my "old" nuts and bolts which had servicable threads along with most of the little bracket thingys and odd bits of metal were sent to the platers. There are two reasons for doing this .....

One. You dont have to clean them up because they are dipped in strong acid to remove rust and clean them before plating. This saves you loads of time.

Two. When zinc plated they look realy nice , without being too overdone and posh like chrome plated bits can be.

Once they are fitted they "age" realy nicely and I have found that after a winter in a damp garage all they need is a wipe with a dirty oily rag to give them a nice "old" look. NOTE: rag must be dirty to get right look.

Of course if you buy new high tensile BSF and BSW nuts and bolts from the well known supliers they are already zinc plated, but this is a very "blue" finish. when you take yours to the local platers you need them zinc passivated but with a slight yellow tone rather than blue, just ask the expert there.

P.S its also quite cheap and much much quicker than wire brushing and priming and painting which chips off anyway!

Of course you pays your money and takes your choice and we all have our own personal idea of what looks right!!

Steve.