Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Slooooooooooooooow

Evening all,
Tiny complaint about really SLOW loading of 'chit chat' link. Was going to post a basket case, but probably will have finished it by the the time page has loaded. Anybody else noticed this or is it my **** connection. We don't have BB in my neck of the woods.
Cheers, Dave
P.S. Brill site anyway-----Psychopants(?)rule ok.

Re: Slooooooooooooooow

I have the same problem, on dial-up, no Broadband. However it does say on the label (Home Page) that images are set for loading up on Broadband, so that's their let out clause.

I gave up on the Chit Chat page long ago. One day when I get a winter fuel allowance with my pension, then I might go for Broadband, but until then, I shall suffer the odd email that has 8Mb of pictures being downloaded - because I might like to see someones latest purchase etc.. I do, but until BB comes along to my village, it's go down the pub/Legion and have a pint waiting for big files to download. Of course that's not possible at this time of the morning (2am).

Sandy

Blimey Sandy! Cant sleep?

What A B****** . NOW you tell us! IT loads instantly for me sorry, at 1.1 mbps.Jason and I will certainly look at this problem you have advised and make it accessable Mac.

I think you have told us before that the images etc are uploaded for Broadband (the home page warns us too), and there has been numerous comments over the period of time this site has been 'live' to the effect that images take forever to load on dial-up connections, so to tell us "..Now you tell us.." is a little bit naughty. We do not all live in Metropolitan Cities or Big towns, some of us are parochial, even live in little villages in valleys where not even the mobile can reach us - pure heaven.

Some of us accept that technology moves on, although of course we ascew it, that's why we have Austin 7's, and from a female point of view, we still enjoy doors being held open for us, even the odd wolf whistle is appreciated.

Therefore manAGEment please accept that we do not seek to have satelite guidance, electronic ignition, even a television for some of us and certainly not digital TV channels. Remember this movement is a Broad Church, with Broad Minded people with some contributors who live aBroad, and some, just some are on Broad Band.

OK, so why have I got a PC? well it's a word processor and all the other bits came with it!

Naomi

Re: Re: Slooooooooooooooow

Just a thought.....

When you click on "chit chat" all the titles and descriptions along with the pics try to load. This would seem to cause a problem for dial up connections.

So... Is it possible to have a "menu" page for the "chit chat" section were just the titles and a basic description of the article are listed instead of the pics as well. You could then choose the one you wanted and then just load that story. I suppose with the story itself would still be slow to load but maybe a slight improvement?

Not a criticism, just a thought.

p.s My area in Cornwall has Broadband, but this took a bit lobbying by local residents to achieve along with laying an undersea cable between Cornwall and England. I think you can write to BT to request the service and a certain number of enquiries trigger the system into action.

Regards

Steve

Steve, you say ".. along with laying an undersea cable between Cornwall and England".

Goodness me I thought it was only Penwith that was cut-off, in fact in a Museum in Penzance (Penlee House) one of the historical displays states that as the Ice Cap melted some 10,000 years ago, Penwith was cut off from the continent. No wonder it's difficult for us to get Broadband. There is BB in the village, but there appears to be a lot of teething problems.

Now I know Cornwall is trying to state it is a seperate nation from England, but I believe they are being a little economical with the truth.

Sandy - 7 miles from Lands End.

P.S. Penwith is the local Council covering Penzance and St Ives and land west to Lands End.

Steve, All good stuff.
I was thinking on these lines...I due course. The broad band thing? yes, one has to petion BT. I had to do it to get in my road, Village of Ferring ,west sussex. Getting it changed my life!! THanks. All constructive observations welome. Mac

Steve wrote:
' ...you can write to BT to request the service and a certain number of enquiries trigger the system into action.'

BT put broadband into our villages but then told us we were too far from the exchange for it to work. So we Did It Ourselves - we found 30 households in the 3 villages (which are all fairly close to each other) and set up a satellite BB system distributed by wireless links. We got a good grant from RABBIT to pay for a lot of the setting up costs. It all works pretty well.

David

message from the front line

Hi Sandy

Our Broadband arrived via a cable under the Tamar from dear old Plymouth. Unfortunately at first only the local school were hooked up to it. Not sure why this was, but eventually the whole exchange (located in Torpoint) was upgraded.

David...I like the sound of the satellite link up, no mention of costs etc, but sound like an escape route from BT.

Over and out

Steve (right up at the front line on the border).

P.s From a civil engineering point of view it may be possible to excavate a canal from the Tamar lakes up to the Atlantic, thus gaining us independance?

I just love it when a plan comes together!

I have been speaking to Mac over a planned revamp of the entire site as it is now starting to creak under the enormous data available.
And I take on all the points reference Chit chat - that page has just got to big and to long.

There are some pro's and cons for my original plan,and new site but although easier for me to administer we think it will be to clinical.

I fully accept the front page is taking to long - and again am trying to find a solution.

WE HAVE HEARD YOU !

What is good is the feed back - and I thank you for that.

Jason

Re: Re: Slooooooooooooooow

Jason

If clinical makes it easier - then go for clinical.
It's the content that counts.

KUTGW

Mike

Jason And I have had a long Chat about how to move forward. We still have masses of "stuff" to out up and loads of plans ,And we are anxious to cater for for all strata of valued contributors.Templated sites are not for us! we will continue to react to your construcive comments.may I ,as an aside,suggest anyone who has acess difficulties to look atwww.onspeed.com. in the mean time.

www.onspeed.com looks good Mac, perhaps those forum contributors out in the sticks can take advantage of it, the on-site praise looks good, almost to good to be true.

Are you using this system Mac, is anyone else using this system.

Phil, stuck at home with all the time in the world....