Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nobby Springs

Oh, Boys, What are Nobby Springs? Tiggs.XX

Re: Nobby Springs

Hi Tiggy,

They are helper springs for the back of the car. Why not google "Nobby Springs" -- you'll find out that way.

Re: Re: Nobby Springs

David,

Don't encourage her - Nobby Springs was really a boy in her class.

Mike Mike

Nobby springs go undrer the back end and help to soften the blows, all good stuff.

Beatrice

As David says, if you do a google images search you will find an original advert for them on the oz website. I think Barry Lovelock has a ruby tourer with a pair of these fitted, there was a photo on the oz site but I can't find it.

OOOhh, ive found it. Go on www.austinseven.org.au and look under Technical Articles ,its all there in glorious iron oxide technicolour!!!

In 1989 I met a Guy called Malcolm BIshop, who had brought a rundown 1927 top hat ML4673 , that had been owned by the inventor of Nobby Bump springs. His name was Fred Saunders,who at the time was a designer for E.M.I. Fred had brought the car from a firm called Pars & Joyce in 1931. The srings were developed in a work shop between Hayes and Uxbridge.Malcolm says at the end of the 90b bus route.In 1935 he drove round the country in ML 4673 demonstrating and selling them . THey were finally marketed by A Chap Called Nobby Clarke of Clapham, hence the name. Malclom thinks ,but is not sure they were originally called Nobby's Bump springs. in 1964 malcolm saw the car a Fred's place and asked to buy it. No luck . He eventually brought it from him in 1969. Eventually took it to bits and stored it in pieces in a 6x8 garden shed. I 1989 he did the rolling chassis and gave it to me to "do" the body , paint ,trim and finish ,as a Christmas present for Jill his wife.I did it original yellow and she calls it primrose. Malcolm has all the original drawings and promotional photos of the springs. I can have access to them for the site some time........ In about 1964 I foolishly entered my '31 box OY26 in the Walsingham Trials run by the 750 M.C.(silly youth) I decided to put Nobby springs to raise the rear axle and "improve"!! the rear suspension. You will not be surprised to hear that they Punched their way right throught the rear floor ,AND my pride and joy got seriousely covered in thick mud!