Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Leaking Petrol Taps

Any experts out there who can offer advice please on how to stop the things weeping? (the push/pull type) Have put new corks in but still cant stop the seepage.

Thanks in advance

Re: Leaking Petrol Taps

Bryan Norfolk back in Novemeber made the following suggestion:

"...... (David Cochran), If the cork looks sound try plumbers PTFE tape wound round the outside of cork. It works well on my RL Saloon".

Hope this is of some help!

Sandy

Many thanks, I shall try it.

Interesting. There has just been a thread on this on another mail group I subscribe to. There, the received wisdom was(from John Ryall):

- Clean Part.
- Dip in or paint on Flux.
- Warm the part to be 'Tinned' up with a cool flame not too hot but so it is all the same temp all over.
- I used a coil of ' Plumbing' lead-free ?? Solder. I am sure you could use electrical solder.
- I just wiped it over the parts leaving a thin layer on it.
- If you put too much on you might have to machine it down or sand it into shape. I just polished mine with a bit of fine emery cloth.
- This is only done on the moving part, not the 'body'

Hope that helps?

Actually, having now actually *read* the original posting, my earlier reply probably doesn't relate to push-pull types!!

Sorry!!!

Re: Re: Leaking Petrol Taps

Hugh

How about this solder technique on the radiator tap?

I "lapped" mine and it is still drippy, and I'm to tight to buy a new one!

I might try it.

Steve

Steve, although 'tinning' the part will be OK, solder is a soft alloy, you would be better having it nickel plated to build up the thickness. We have the means in Cornwall Club (as you are on the border!), or you could look up how to do it on Google etc.

I'm sure other Clubs have members who can do it as well.

There is an article on nickel plating in the Practical Classics 'Austin Seven Briefing', a guide which I think is very useful to those comming in to the A7 Brother/Sister-Hood, and indeed a reminder to those of us who seem to have been round for some time. (End of promo.....)

Sandy

Re: Re: Leaking Petrol Taps

Hi Sandy

Thanks for jogging my memory, I have a copy of "Austin Seven Briefing" (good old ebay!).
I have just looked at the article concerned and it does seem quite interesting.

I may just give it a try, although my diy attempts at anodising aluminium were not altogether succesful!

Steve.

Re nickel plating - Frost Restorers Equipment sell a nickel plating kit, everything you need for £136.00 including tank, power supply, salts and anodes Haven't tried the kit myself, but it looks interesting. Price-wise it's possibly a sledge hammer to crack a nut for just one small petrol tap, but you might have other items that could benefit from re-plating.

Steve, or you could give Malcolm a ring and see if he can help, but I'm sure if you take care this is an aid that you will find useful for all sorts of other little jobs.

Jeff, Other uses I have put it to is building up the front radius arm pins that goes through the axle, mine had become worn enough that I could not 'lock' the radius arm pin taper to the front axle, and thus the arm was never tight. I think I added only about 2 thou thickness of nickel (4 thou overall) and now the arm is locked solid and steering etc. is much improved!

Sandy

Re: Nickel-plating (was Leaking Petrol Taps)

I have a nickel-plating kit which I am willing to lend to any locals (Warks/Leics/Northants). It's very useful for doing all sorts of small parts, especially on pre-1930 cars.