Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Austin Seven Advice

Gentlemen and Ladies, My Uncle Onslow, has offered me a 1934 saloon.He says it us good "nick" and is a status symbol.He further adds that it 'only needs a push to start'.My Mother,Hyacinth,told me that if I visited I must park it round a corner! My questions are:Is £2800 a fair price,if for an extra couple of cases of beer he will get to start on the handle. May you advise me the etiquette with regard to entering the rear of the car when wearing a ball gown? Should a lady enter Head or Rear first?Finally, My intended, Mimi, is not too happy that the car does not have a heater.Is it safe to give her a hot water bottle.,as I understand the battery is under the seat.Is there a chance of a short circuit if it leaks.It also has a rear window blind,and I see in this forum that is correct, but are Floral rear side window curtains right? Thank you

Re: Austin Seven Advice

Sheridan,

I think you ought to ask around your sewing group to see if any of them know anything about Austin Sevens, or try the local Austin Seven club. I am sure any member would give you advice if they had more information or saw the car.

I am not sure whether the reference to the ball gown was for yourself or your 'friend' Mimi.

Love the curtains, the flowers aren't Blue Periwinkles are they?

Re: Austin Seven Advice

Sheridan, fear not for Mimi's hot water bottle, the battery in a 1934 'Box' saloon is under the driver's seat, I'm assuming Mimi, the little Lady, will be sat in the passengers seat, or if you have a chauffeur, you will both be in the rear part of the car, secluded by the thoughtful blinds and curtains.

I myself have fitted some 12" long plaited rope handles to the rear of the door frames to aid entry / exit to the rear accommodation, and this seems to be very much appreciated by my Mother-in-law - the rope handles were crafted for me by a local fisherman all for a wedge of shag, better he said than the local beer!

Phil

Re: Re: Austin Seven Advice

Phil, you must be slipping - carrying your mother-in-law in the back seat? What's wrong with one of those after-market luggage racks for your Seven? If you can't find one, surely it's worth the effort to make one? Although on reflection, I must admit that many, myself included, got on better with the mother-in-law than the wife at times!. (In case my lady reads this, it's alright, dear, I'm only joking). Cheers, Bill