Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Horn wire

OK, I've looked through all the books, searched the forum etc. etc. to no avail.
Anyone know how to replace the horn wire that goes up the steering column. This on a 1931 Box Saloon.
I've removed the inner column which has the lever attached and there is bakelight? boss with a plated brass contact in the middle. The wire appears to be soldered to the centre of this. Is it just a matter of applying a soldering iron to this and pulling the other end.
Don't want to bust anything.
Cheers, Dave

Re: Horn wire

Sorry, can't spell my own name. Is there a way to edit a post for spelling mistakes etc.?
Cheers, Dave

I have done this recently. The wire terminates at the top end into a soldered bullet. You mention bakelite - I am assuming you havent got one of those bakelite GAS/IGN?horn units that they put on from 1933 I think. Mine is a 32 RN with the GAS/IGN plate and chrome/nickel horn button. When you have removed the inner column complete with levers at the top end, the little horn button housing actually unscrews leaving you with the button, spring, and retaining ring. The wire goes up the column into the bullet thingy which you can pull out complete with wire attached allowing you desolder and resolder on the bench.

I suspect you can do all this without actually having to remove the inner column but I happened to have it all in bits anyway. Good luck

David,
Thanks for the reply. I think mine is the same type as yours. The bakelite boss that I am referring to is at the top of the column immediately above the levers and is about half an inch in diameter and about a centimeter deep. It has the small plug about 1/4 inch in diameter in the middle to which the wire is soldered. Is it the bakelite boss that unscrews or the small metal plug?
Cheers, Dave

Hi Dave, No way to correct a mistake from your end I'm afraid. but no worries. Withregard to your question,the wire that goes down the middle is indeed soldered to a tiny flanged tube end, the thickness of the wire and bush . The bush is made of a composition insulating material., It is very fragile and may well break up if you try to winkle it out.First,however, Try to gently ease it out by VERY gentle twisting back and forth. Remove the wire with the brass end and drill out the wire whilst heating it.If the insulator breaks up it is easy to duplicate.

Thanks to David and Mac. Rewire now sorted.
Cheers, Dave