Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Cover your Back - Safety in Mind!

There was some recent discussion about other road users visibility of our Seven's in front of them at night....

One of the accepted methods is to have a spare wheel cover with a yellow reflective triangle on it, another is a trailer board fitted towards the top of the spare wheel (detachable at Rallies etc.).

One of our regular contributors, Mike Whittome of the Solent Club has decided to add an extra yellow reflective number plate to his rear wheel with the wording 'AUSTIN 7' on it. Go to Mikes unofficial (don't ask me why) Solent A7 Clubs web site to see it live :-
http://www.windling.demon.co.uk/SolentA7/chatter.htm

Mike makes the comment that the nerds in his Auto suppliers (Halfords etc) were unable to supply the plate as requested. The Auto Parts place which I was the accountant for supplies the plates from legal software etc, the plate is called a 'Sign' and thus they can then put on it whatever you want, this is where signs like 'LADIES', GENTS' etc come from, so 'AUSTIN 7', PANDORA, 'CEE GEE' are all easily done (these are the ones I have). Cost should be about £7 for a yellow backed reflective plate.

Have a look at Mikes site anyway, no Forum there, but plenty of good items, the home page is at :-
http://www.windling.demon.co.uk/SolentA7/INDEX.HTM

Sandy

Cornwall A7 Club

Re: Cover your Back - Safety in Mind!

Thanks for that Sandy. I see you had an early night last night - are the sleeping pills starting to work then?!

The website is best entered at .........

http://www.windling.demon.co.uk/SolentA7/club.htm

The capital 'S' is necessary, whilst the http:// does not seem to be so.

To explain the 'unofficial' bit, the opening page reports that I take responsibility for what I post, and that I save harmless and keep indemnified the SA7C in this regard. It became a necessary formality for a quiet life. 'nuf said.

So far as the yellow number plate is concerned I would just point out that it is on a bungy cord so is quickly removable in the daylight!

You can tell we are under a waning Moon with all this talk about lights and reflectors

Mike

Re: Re: Cover your Back - Safety in Mind!

I bought a magnetic yellow number plate with"on tow" on it from Towsure,I covered the number plate with a plain yellow reflective adhesive number plate and then used black stick on letters for the car registration umber. Being magnetic fits fine to a Ruby boot lid.
Stephen

At last a source for the magnetic sheets, many thanks.

Sandy

I would be concerned that all this magnetism might effect the satnav!

Mike

I am reaching for the law book !!!
more to follow but my initial thoughts are " NOT ALLOWED “
If you display anything but a red light to rear – apart from a number plate
The number plate will be of a set standard, and as I recall, a number plate will be of . Letters figures letters – and not personalised and the characters will not allow such personalisation in their display.
Ha ! not good reading so far ?
So a number plate will be a number plate for the vehicle - thats why Halfords would not make one - the law was made to stop Janet and John loonys doing exactly that....
So back to my argument if the vehicle behind can read A7 how the flaming hell cant they see A7 !!! ??????????????????????

It’s the big thing with a number plate on the back ?
oh and the two rear lights to indicate width and presencee on the rear...bit dim but stronger than the cycle l.e.d

I saw a bicycle the other morning pitch black it was with 1 rear light…..
I was approaching at a progressive speed suitable for both road and conditions, I still saw it was a slow bicycle ? and that only had one light ?.
I knew to slow down and prepared an over take accordingly.

Series two land rover approaching me with side lights – I looked and hey !!!! series two land rover with side lights was coming toward me ?
It was the big thing with the ugly front bumper…..

Mac throw me off this web !!!

They are all mad except me ……..
"

So Registration black letters yellow back ground probably ok..... but you cant be Janet and you cant be John and you cant be A7

No Janets and Johns took any insult in this thread for information and both agreed to be used as examples.

OH, I knew it would come to this.

Back in the eighties at the height of the tacky boy racer boom you could buy reflective red panels with the name of your car written in them in black. i.e XR3i, XR2 GTi etc etc. They went on the back usually between the rear lights. I presume they may have been legal, thus perhaps we could get some A7 ones made somewere?

Steve

Yes in the 80's you could do what you liked
But not any more the law / specs have had to be so " improved " and inproved is the right word......or you would end up with the rear markings on a such vehicle like an Austin seven being so distracting you'd hit the thing before you had identified what ever you had just driven up too - a bit like reading a paper up side down on a train perheaps ?

See you have got me all worked up now !!!

PS this is written on the new web server ! The machine is located 1ft away from the other... it is looking like the new generation web site will be fast, firefox friendly and dial up friendly ( to a point )

I see all your problems now......... I am looking into the site from within the site...now that makes me very crazey.

Calm down Jason, take it easy....

The reflective sign with the markings 'Austin 7' does not purport to be a number plate, it's a sign, that just happens to be reflective and on the back of a vehicle, it's no different to say reflective angled strips and letters that say 'Police' or 'Doctor' or 'Motorway Maintenance' and all other sundry information that appears on the rear of vehicles, be it reflective or otherwise.

The regulations re the style, size etc., refer to REGISTRATION NUMBER PLATE MARKINGS ONLY, not signs - All registration marks including marks purchased through DVLA's sales scheme must be displayed in accordance with The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001, go to http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm#inbrief for full details. Further the sign 'Austin 7' is not trying to decieve anyone as a Registration Number, that is displayed elsewhere on the back and accompanied by the legal lighting requirements - viz. Number Plate lights.

Get a grip of yourself young man, or get someone else to grip you, gently though, and let them sooth away that troubled brow.

Naomi (available, uniform optional!)