Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
bulbs revisited

Hi all

A while ago I asked for advice on headlight bulbs for the Colander. Sandy was kind enought to reply with some usefull info, which I have now used.

The bulb in the Butler unit was a spherical shape globe with "L2C" printed on the base. I have measured the base and compared it to a standard style twin filament lamp as found in a more modern vehicle (ba15d 21/5watt). I have also looked at several websites including Paul Becks. It would seem to my untrained eye that a BA15d would fit the bulb holder and is available in the right wattage as well as being described as a headlight bulb.

Problem solved?

Not quite...

If the bulb is placed in the holder and then said assy is installed in light with a lense in front then presumably the bulb must go "the right way up" to allow for the dip beam to work. BUT the locating pins on the side of the base are level and parrallel, unlike some wich are offet allowing fitting only in the correct orientation. Are the bulbs marked top and bottom or is some trial and error fitting required?

Regards

Steve

Re: bulbs revisited

I have a similar bulb sizes information sheet from Sandy and as your a member of the Cornwall Club, I see from a friends copy of their October 2005 Club Mag, it was printed there as well, page 15.

BA15d 21/5W is a Stop/Tail lamp bulb, NOT a headlamp bulb. Are you sure it's not one of the P15d/... bulbs you need, where ..d/3T19 = Miniture pre-focus, ..d/RP30 = 3 lug American Pre-Focus or ..d/1RP35 = American Pre-Focus. Headlamp should be at least 25/25W on 6 Volt, if you have changed to 12V then 60/55W or whatever.

Naomi

Re: Re: bulbs revisited

Thanks Naomi

The bulb I am refering to (BA15d) is commonly a stop tail light as you say, BUT it is also available in a headlight bulb rated at 48/36watts (look on Paul Becks site). Thinking about it 21/5watt stop tail lights would give the dynamo an easier life but certainly give rise to some scary moments driving at night!

Steve