Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
www.petrolprices.com

www.petrolprices.com.

This is a good site and free to register. It can save money on fuel either locally to you or even if you travel further afield.
Have a look. No leaded petrol listed I'm afraid !

Clive

Re: www.petrolprices.com

I tried it and for 6 locations I normally travel to, I'm already using the cheapest available, so it hasn't saved me anything.

Beartice.

I was told that there was an article in the Finance section of the Mail on Sunday about cars successfull y running on a chemical derived from Sugar. Any one see it ?John

No, didn't see the Mail on Sunday, but in the March 2006 edition of Classic Car Mart, the lead article is about a Riley Mentone and it's use during the war for Taxi service with an allowance of two gallons a week. At one point the car was running on a mixture of '3 Gallons Paraffin + 2 gallons of Diesel and a Gallon of Paint Strippers'. Bearing in mind the Riley had a higher compression ratio to the Seven, then this should have been Ok in a Seven too.

I seem to recall an article back in the 60's about cars running on 75-78 octane fuel during the war. The above Riley was also using TVO - Tractor Vaporising Oil, with a small can of petrol through a 2 way valve for starting, I would imagine that was low octane.

I've heard it rumoured that Aero fuel let down with 15% parrafin is good, plenty of lead in it.

Sandy

Re: Re: www.petrolprices.com

Yes Sandy, and perhaps for a bit more fun we could go back to the gas bag idea. During the war (ww2) there were quite a number of vehicles about with what looked like a mattress case supported on a framework above the roof of the car. This bag was filled with town gas, and I believe pressurised by a hefty couple of planks on the top. I have no idea what you had to do to the carburettor to make it all work.

It may be, however, that the current North Sea product would be no match for the splendid stuff which issued from the Gas, Light, and Coke Company.

I remember that when the change-over to natural gas came we had to re-jet the gas stove, though the gas light (which I still have in the kitchen for when the electricity drops out) does not burn as well as it used.

In passing, and totally off topic - but in the light of other threads running currently on this site I don't care - who remembers the change over from DC to AC ? Or am I showing my age?

Mike

Mike wrote:
> who remembers the change over from DC to AC ? Or am I showing my age?

I think the majority of places always had an AC supply from when mains electricity started. If you had DC, the change-over was a gradual thing, depending on where you lived and to which electricity company you were connected. I ran a wireless museum for the McMichael company in the early 1980s, and we used to make radios that would work on either supply (AC/DC or Universal sets). We were still listing these as late as 1955 when the company amalgamated with Sobell (eventually becoming part of GEC).

And yes, I think that perhaps you are...

David

Mike, couple of points you raise, the Gas bag, is this cross referencing to Sandy's mother in law and the suggestion he buy's a rear luggage rack, and the other point, DC to AC, I thought it was something the News of The World invented.

Or, I got caught recently with a front door transformer, I thought they would all be the same, but I aquired one that was 12 volts AC (no built in rectifier) and was surprised the door bell did not work, I then applied an old 'ScaleXtrix' transformer which is 16 v DC, nearly took the door bell of the wall but it worked. No I was not into little cars in tramlines, that was a friend who went his own way...... not that way either.

Naomi

I meant '.... front door BELL transformer..'.

BTW Mike you will recall when North Sea Gas came on line, late 60's I think, gas burners had to be modified to take up the different burn characteristics of North Sea Gas compared to the old Town Gas System and as I recall they had to add a smell/perfume to it so it could be detected at the 'leak' stage.

I suppose the above is not a lot different to the change from Leaded to Unleaded petrol - just to bring the topic back, more or less, to where it started.

Naomi

Re: Re: www.petrolprices.com

DC to AC conversion??

There was I believe some fuss in America when execution by electric chair came in, I believe something to do with it being a DC current and Edisons detractors claimed that it proved DC was dangerous?

Ref petrol prices /gas conversions etc has anyone ran or converted an Austin Seven on LPG?

Steve

Is there anybody else here whose looked at the www.petrolprices.com site and now had an email for a sticker etc?

Naomi

Have a look at this! www.pipelinecard.org