Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Who stole him?

I've been trying to contact Ian Moorcraft by email but have received no response, even though the message was apparently rec'd. Perhaps someone else could help with my enquiry. I need to know fairly urgently how much it cost to Insure a Seven in 1928. If someone could kindly look in their pre-plated rad, pre-coil ign. 1928 Handbook, you'll find it at the foot of the Leading Features page. Why do I need this? An author (not me) is writing stories about country life in England in 1928 and thought it would be nice if he included an Austin Seven. So do I. Thanks & Cheers, Bill

Re: Who stole him?

The 1926 handbook quotes £8-10-0 per annum, the 1929/30 one quotes £8-18-0. Sorry I haven't got a 1928 one.

David

I don't think Ian's been stolen, just taken himself away, he is a coach driver!

Naomi

Bill, presumably you have the Road Tax at £1.0.0p per HP from the Source Book.

There is a slight confusion over the price of Petrol, on page 25 for 1928 it states £0.1s 0.5p and nil tax per gallon (just over a bob a gallon), but on page 15 it states that in the 1928 Finance Act there was 4p a gallon implimented - perhaps this was advance notice and not applied until 1930.

The Insurance at Circa £8.15.0p was expensive in relation to average earnings, I doubt if a factory worker was earning more than 30 shillings (£1.10.0p) a week then, if that.

Good luck Bill

Naomi

Re: Re: Who stole him?

Thanks David & Naomi. By co-incidence I too only had 1926 and March '29 Handbooks and the difference in Insurance made me think there'd probably be a slight increase in between. Thanks to Naomi I now know that the '26 fee of 8 - 10 - 0 went up 5 bob. (sorry, but my steam machine keyboard only has Dollars, not the old L.S.D.). Cheers, Bill