Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chummy body numbers

I am giving Clive Medland a little assistance in the rebuild of his 1928 chunmmy chassis 55072.The body has been bead blasted clean and it has revealed a number on the top of the transmission tunnel just behind the handbrake cover, I don't recognise it .It seems too long? it is 43286. Any help?

Re: Chummy body numbers

Hi Mac,
Could it be A4-3286 ? That series of numbers seems about right for that period.
Clive - a different one !

Re: Re: Chummy body numbers

Can't be body number because have a5-7481 already?

There should also be the letters AD just above it, thus giving the 43,286th AD body produced. The 'Car No.' is A5-7481, this is the number that Austin's would have refered to in the A5 series Ledger, all other number information being second line, as I understand it. You will recall the Car No. Ali olate is one that says "Quote This Number".

See Phil Baildons excellent article on 'Always Quote this number' in the Grey Book - 1990A or visit the Associations web site at http://www.a7ca.org/Registers/Quote%20this%20number.pdf for an Adobe pdf file.

Sandy

Thanks for the input. I personally won't see it until friday .I didn't recognise it's description as there was no pre fix. will look carefully.

......Or just go to the Associations web site www.a7ca.org then click on the Chassis Register and in the blurb you'll see (always) 'Quote this Number' underlined, click on this and it will bring up the full article as a Adobe pdf file.

For those who do not have Adobe pdf reader on their system, it can be downloaded free from the Associations web site, one of it's uses is that all government forms etc on the internet are in Adobe .pdf format. Oh and you'll need it to look at the 100+ pages of Stanley Edges notebook on the Association web site, plus all the other things to be uploaded in time.

Of course things like the 'Always Quote this Number' will eventually be on this web site FAQ's pages.

Sandy

Sandy

Is 'Ali olate' Cornish for rtfp (where p=plate?)

Something for you to ponder in the wee small hours.

Mike

Re: Spelling mistakes

Mile, ooops the keys keep moving, or my fingers are getting tired.

Of course I hope your not picking on the dyslexic, and lets not forget the Oxford (and others) Dictionary are only a GUIDE to both English spelling and prononciation, it is an evolving language.

At present there are three different Cornish Dictionary's, so no overall consensus as to how things should be spelt or pronounced. In it's simplest form there are two ways to say 'White House', there's 'White House' (derived from Middle English etc) and 'House White' as used in say French, Breton and Spanish.

Ali olate, yes it should be 'plate' and I suppose for Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells it should be 'Aluminium' as well.

It's to late for nit picking....... but have you checked some of your recent contributions?

Sandy

Trying to connect numbers on Chummy tunnels with chassis or Car numbers appears to be a very painful business. As one who was involved with the restoring &/or new body-building of over 200 A7s, I have to say very few have made sense - eg : A9 9351 had 60274 on tunnel, a late-'28 roadster had 60149 on tunnel, a '27 model Chummy had an even higher number stamped etc. I thought that this confusion was only peculiar to us in Oz, but obviously others are puzzled in UK too. One thing I can say is I've never found AD or any similiar letters with these high numbers, just the numbers - excepting B2 8054 had UE 70 stamped, and a mid-'30 fabric saloon which had a Longbridge body (came here via NZ) had a tunnel number which seemed okay with chassis and car number. Cheers, Bill

Re: Re: Spelling mistakes

Gmae, set and mtach to Sandy!

Never-the-less I think we should keep 'Ali O'Late' (as in party)on board for future reference. Perhaps he is the original Irish Egyptian who had an Austin 6 1/2

Mike

p.s. Seriously now, why does this Forum not have a spell checker??

Re.Re Spelin mistaks can be avoidead

hallow everyboddy
im delited to let yew now that i never make mistaks when i right anyfing as i keap my diktionery close by me and reffer to it awl the time, i took ingalish littererture at skool and consistantly got hi marqs and freekwently a gold star,
i suggest yew all tri this diktionery method or tern on the spelchequer and then perhapse we will improove the speling and grammer on this sight to
hope this contribewsion hasnt upset the purisd among yew hoo only seam to want informertiv and sensaball eyetems
lexicon

Re: Re.Re Spelin mistaks can be avoidead

sorrie, fourgot to mension that i hope to apier on ITVs Countdown shortlea, im allways geting nien leter wurds at home so ort two find it kwite easi

lexicon

p.s.
i alreddy rite up the deskripsions on ebay for a reguler Ostin 7 spairs seller

Re: Re: Re: Spelling mistakes

Oy! You takin' ther P155 or summin?