Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Dutch

Does anyone know what the Dutch is for "Hand Signals Only" as I,m taking my Chummy on The Windmill Run. I have tried a web based translation but am dubious about the accuracy.
Regards
Brian Hutchings

Re: Dutch

Brian

Babel Fish gives us : "De hand signaleert slechts"

Systarn gives us ... : "De hand signaleert slechts"

I would think that's how it will be then, BUT I think you'll find the Dutch can understand English a LOT better than we can Dutch.

But we will await a message from our friends over the water for the definative reply.........

Naomi

Thanks Naomi, I tried that as well but what worried me was that the Dutch to English gives the translation you have given but then if you re-translate it back a couple of times, it comes out different. I appreciate that most Dutch people speak some English but I thought it would be nice to show willing.
Regards, Brian Hutchings

OK guys, my lovely wife is Dutch, and so from the horse's mouth (albeit a horse who doesn't drive!):

The literal translation of 'hand signals only' is 'alleen handsignalen', but a message that might be better understood would be 'Geen richtingaanwijzers' which means 'No indicators'. Either write it as shown or all in capitals.

'De hand signaleert slechts' means 'the hand only notices'...

We did the Molentocht event two years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it (and decided to get married on the strength of it ). It's a great country for A7s, nice & flat with well-surfaced roads. You have to watch the cyclists though -- they have right of way practically everywhere, especially when you are going onto AND coming off roundabouts.

David (& Ilke)

Re: Re: Dutch

Many thanks Dave (and also your wife)I have to be careful what I say about cyclists as I am (sometimes) one myself!
Regards
Brian Hutchings

Re: Re: Dutch

Me again Dave with another question. 'richtingaanwijzers' is to long to go in one line! Where can I split it and should there be a hyphen if I do
Many thanks
Brian Hutchings

> 'richtingaanwijzers' is to long to go in one line! Where can I split it and should there be a hyphen if I do.

After 'richting' and yes, after the 'richting'.

David (& Ilke)

Many thanks David and Ilke
Regards
Brian Hutchings