Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Miles!

Sirs, I have heard at the Pall Mall club that there is a report In the Press. That Fellow Kinnock is pushing to have miles "done away with" Is this true? Hells teeth ,I did not fight in two world wars to lose Our BRITISH identity. Is nothing sacred? Lbs ,gallons now our mile. What can we DO? I remember singing in my youth to Dear Ariadne " I would drive a million miles for one of your smiles" AH. Progress.... your servant, G. Aswage-bloom

Re: Miles!

The use of the metric system was made legal in this country in the late 1800's, it has taken over a 100 years and we are still not up to speed ! Talking of speed we will be able to do 80 or 90 kph, maybe over the 100 !

Does it really matter in this world of strife, famine and religious mania ???

OF COURSE IT MATTERS, they will be running Ascot week in Kms next, probably some animal rights people objecting to the Furlong...

Yours Algernon of Tunbridge Wells.

Re: Re: Miles!

Is it me or is the dear old fashioned Zenith metric?

Oh, My gawd! yes it is

Whats all this about changing all the signposts to kilometers? It is only 2000 years since the last upheaval.

The Italians came over here in droves, marching all over the place, insisting that we measure distance in their short-legged paces. A thousand double paces were henceforth to be called a mille. (meelay)
(Italian mille = thousand)
We eventually anglicised it to mile.

We've kowtowed to the continentals once already on distance measurement and I see no reason to change again.

PS If you look at the origins of the Zenith carburettor company it is logical that they use metric sizes.

Martin

Re: Re: Miles!

My A7 only works in miles and gallons,(and well), but strangely the engine is metric, haven't a clue what it is in inches. Will this have to change? More importantly what has Dr Doom to say about it all?
Dave

Re: Re: Re: Miles!

For those of you lucky enough to have an Ulster, the bonnet louvre dimensions are also in Metric, so all in all we're gradually being assimilated (or is it assaulted?). As one who has endured the change from miles to kilometres and everything else foreign (I understand I now weigh 67 kegs, which sounds enormous), I would suggest you resist the change as strongly as you can. To have a modern car's speedo set in k's and old bangers set in miles is too taxing for the aged grey matter, I assure you. ("Sorry Officer, I thought........"). Cheers, Bill