Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Winking indicators

I am a newish owner of a Ruby ,that has been converted to 12v. I would like to put on flashing indicators. Can any one point me in the right direction . A kit? or the individual bits? what lamp would look "period" . thanks

Re: Winking indicators

I've just finished installing the indicators on my special (12V), and used 23W orange BA9 bulbs in Austin A30 style sidelights (torpedo style). The lights look OK, not sure were you could fit them on a standard Ruby?
I used an off the shelf indicator switch off the toggle variety with a built in green tell tale ( a legal requirement). I tried a cheapy flasher unit from the local motor factors which was the bimetallic strip type, this was not altogether succesful and I have now fitted a slightly more expensive elctronic unit that hides easily under the dash ( remember the units are designed to operate bulbs of a certain power (wattage) to work correctly.

Search the web for the firm "vehicle wiring products" they have most of what you need and are cheap.

regards

Steve.

thanks.

Any motor cycle shop will have 12v indicators/winkers on stalks, and then fit them to your bumpers.

I use the indicator switch on the car through a double pole switch to change over between the original semaphore type and the winkers. I keep the semaphors for rallies only, using the winkers for everyday use.

Various club mags have had recent articles on the set ups required (if your in the right club that is!!!!!!!).

Naomi 'sunburnt'

Two points to consider.

Firstly the 'mechanical' type flasher units don't like the un-regulated 12v conversions on A7s, use the electronic type they will last so much longer.

Secondly, I realise that we all try and keep our cars looking 'in period' but if you are fitting flashers they must be obvious to the motoring public in general who drive around in 'armchair' type cars. Make them bold and clear. If you rely on your flashers that are not obvious then you are worse off than having no flashers at all and using hand signals.

Re: Re: Winking indicators

Quite agree with Malcolm ref making indicators visible. Mine are right at the front on the wing, were you might expect to find a sidelight, the back ones are in the same place but on the back (not sure that sounds right?). I also have 23W bulbs which are bright enough, you can of course get those led bulbs that were the subject of a previous post although not sure how they would work with regard to current draw from the flasher units perspective?

Ref "unregulated" 12v conversions , I am using a solid state regulator that I believe limits the charging voltage to the correct figure for the prevailing conditions i.e battery state, what conversion are you refering to Malcolm? I am interested because I was having problems with the mechanical flasher unit, despite theoretically it being the correct type? The electronic one seems to be OK at the mo.

Regards

Steve.

Thanks for all the imput ,guys. John