Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Product recommendation.

Having read the forum list on Faulty Spare Parts, it seems to me that it would be equally interesting to hear about good personal experiences with various products. Often when buying you are faced with a multitude of similar items to choose from, and all make claims to be the best, so I think personal recommendation counts for a lot.
I tried K-Seal, in the BLUE container, as mentioned by Mac previously in an attempt to stop a leak in an aluminium cylinder head. I was sceptical at first, especially with their claim that it mixed OK with antifreeze. Result ? It works perfectly, and many thousands of miles later continues to work. It is superior, in my opinion, to anything I have tried and would recommend it to anyone.

Recently, having a problem with a seemingly impossible to fix broken casting on my motor mower, I looked around at many products to see if there was anything suitable to carry out a lasting repair. Eventually I purchased JB Weld 'Auto Weld' (£6.50) and carefully carried out the repair as per the instructions. Result ? It has worked perfectly again and saved me a considerable amount of money. It's easy to use and has a claimed shelf life when opened of 25 years so should be fine to use for a long time ahead. It can be drilled, sanded and tapped so could be invaluable to effect repairs on, for example, the aluminium crankcase or carb. body of the Seven.
To see more, including the specifications, have a look at www.jbweld.com
I have no connection with this company other than being a highly satisfied customer.
Perhaps if you have discovered something that works really well you would like to let us know about it ?

Clive

Re: Product recommendation.

I have to say that JB weld is good stuff!!! My dad used it to glue the flywheel of our box saloon back together in a hotel carpark in south france, but then it was a daft idea to cut it in half in the first place!!

Regards

Rob

Re: Re: Product recommendation.

Yes, Agree with all that.

I recently used JBweld with great success to build up a missing section of a spare 22FZ carburettor, where the dreaded Marzac beetle had been at work.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Product recommendation.

Havn't tried JB Weld, but have friends who have and they recomend it highly.

On the same subject it is often possible for cheapskates like myself to produce a "DIY" product of similar usefullness.....

PVA glue mixed with sawdust makes a good filler.

Epoxy resin can be mixed with metal powder/filings and many other "fillers" to produce a usefull and strong or decorative repair gunge.

I actually repaired the nosecone of the "Colander" with something called "Belzona" which I beleive is similar to JB Weld, I didnt have to pay for it so it was by default the most suitable material for the job

Steve

p.s I like the idea of a list of "good" products

Re: Product recommendation.

I had a problem years ago with a crankcase.

The ali crumbled away from the oil jet cleaning bolt as i removed it at the side of the road! I was in the middle of nowhere and had no way of plugging the hole to get me home.

I used JBWeld as a roadside fix. When I got home I was able to re-apply it properly and tap a new thread for the bolt. It held for tens of thousands of miles. I now carry a tube in all my cars "just in case".

I also always carry a tube of petrol leak fix, which i have used at the side of the raod to fix a leaking tank on the Pearl and also a petrol tap conection on the Ulster. Both where quick fixes at the roadside but got me home. It's particularly good as it sets even with petrol dripping out!

Ruairidh