Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
ignition warning light

In preperation for the visit to the ministry man on Friday I am doing a spanner check and a bit of tidying up.
Whilst doing this a thought has occured to me?
When making the loom I have fitted a main beam warning light, and the indicators have a tell tale, BUT I have not fitted an ignition warning light. The solid state voltage regulator indicates current via the ammeter so I know what it is going on, but was wondering if there is any legal req for an ignition warning light. I'm sure the answer is found via one of the ministry sites, but I thought some of you guys would probably know the answer to save me trawling through all the regulations etc!

Regards

Steve

Re: ignition warning light

Short answer mate, is No.

Re: Re: ignition warning light

Ideal, that makes life easier!

Thanks

Steve.

Re: ignition warning light

G'day,
Just one qualifier: It depends on the regulator design, but often the "Ign" light illumination current provides the initial field current to get the charging process up & running. This is more relevant to alternator charging systems, but should not be totaly dismissed. With DC dynamo generators there is normally enough residual magnetism in the field iron to start the process, so the illumination current absence is not a problem.

DG

Re: Re: ignition warning light

I quite agree Dennis, you make a good point.

The electronic system I am using is now controlling a two brush (converted) dynamo, and is wired according to the supplied circuit diagram. After some head scratching due to faulty dynamos it now charges fine!
An ign light is not needed in my case, but as you say on a lot of systems it is essential to supply the initial current to the field windings.

Incidentally whilst trying to fix a friends modern alternator recently my research led me to find a "self exciting alternator"!!! Apparently some alternators require an ign light feed to "excite" them whilst there are those that do not.

A question arises..... Given that we have some "residual magnetism" in our dynamos are we therefore to be deemed "self exciting"?

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: ignition warning light

Well I don't know about you, but Austin 7's get me very self excited!

DG