Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SORN

Carrying on the "transfer of number plates" theme.....

ebay 4629966494 Austin Big 7, has been in barn since late 1970's but has V5 and SORN.

I was under the impression that SORN was only relevant to cars that were currently taxed some time around about 1998 when I think it came in?

The colander was never SORNed whilst I was restoring it because it was already off the road at the time of SORN introduction, although I did have a current and correct V5 document, which later became a V5C doc.

The question is can you declare SORN on a project that has been of the road for years, and if so are there advantages or disadvantages in doing so?

Steve

Re: SORN

There is no need to SORN a car if it has not been taxed since before 1998.

The problem I would see is if you forget to re-SORN it annually. Now it may be that although it has not been taxed, it may have been MOT'd, so they can sell off the Registration Number and get an age related number.

I think that was the problem Sandy had over CG 7241, as I recall his car was not roadworthy at all at the time the Owner got a MOT, and thus sell on the Reg. Number. CG 7241 was one of the partial cars in the late Ray Walkers barn and sold as part of his estate in 1998 (I think) - Last time I saw the car, Sandy still had it in bits and he was the 5th or 6th owner since the Reg number was sold off, trying to get the car into a fit state.

Naomi ('Aunti' to some dear boys) a year older today..

Re: Re: SORN

Aunty,

Happy Birthday old love.

Mike

Re: SORN

Yes your almost right Naomi, and believe it or not I've just found the Reg No. CG 7241 for sale (£2,600) again up at Berwick on Tweed, so that information has been sent to Hull Police as well.

I doubt if I will get the number back for my old car, it was with me from 1962 (I think) to 1972, then disappeared - a long story - until I bought it back again in 2003, on the day my father died, so I won't forget that in a hurry.

I have a V5C for the car - under it's new number - and also it's insured, but most definatly not on the road, or SORNed. The chassis' OK, but the body, like mine, needs a lot of TLC......

Sandy