Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
windscreen glass

Common sense has overcome style I'm afraid.
I have decided to fit a windscreen to the Colander!

Actually I would like to fit 2 windscreens, as in a split screen style windscreen (Swallow, early Fraser Nash, GN etc). A couple of questions....

With two split windows do I need two windscreen wipers legally?

Were can I get the correct glass cut to size?

Regards

Steve.

Re: windscreen glass

Hi Steve, I am pretty sure that if the windscreen opens then you don't need wipers. On the subject of getting them cut, I found a local (to Mansfield, Nottinghamshire) glass merchant who cut me a new upper screen, complete with cutouts for the corner clips, out of laminated glass for the princley sum of £8-00. I think that the lower one would cost more because of the lower curve but fortunately, I didn't need that one.
Hope that helps.
Regards
Brian Hutchings

The wording of the exemption regarding the fitting of windscreen wipers relates to the "ability of the driver to obtain a view to the front without having to look through the windscreen". Therefore, if your windscreen(s) open or fold down, then there is no requirement for windscreen wiper(s).

Furthermore, if you are exempt windscreen wipers, then you're also exempt from the need to fit windscreen washers.

(Road vehicles Construction & Use Regs)

Steve,

If you just go along to your local glass supplier and as for laminated glass they will cut it to size for you. If you make your screens as suggested last Saturday then I would expect a wiper on the driver's side unless the screen is so low as to enable you to look over whilst driving but then you might just as well keep the aeroscreens you already have in that case.

The beauty of laminated glass is that, when cracked it stays in place ( sod's law means it will break whilst in some god foresaken place ! ) until you can do a 'proper job' of the repair and , if you need to, you can drill holes in the glass to fit a wiper etc. and it is readily cut to size.

Love the car ! Bigger wheels and move that spare an I reckon you have the biz.

Re: Re: windscreen glass

Thanks to all for the replies.

I should have pointed out that the split screen is a vertical split NOT horizontal, Malcolm already knew that!

Ref drilling the glass, this sounds quite usefull, but also slightly scary! Is there any kind of special technique?

p.s I'm working on a prototype ign advance/retard control system at the moment, its all a bit of a bodge at the moment but should prove a point and make it all a bit smoother.

p.p.s The colander will be making its longest journey to date on Saturday, down to Bodmin for the Lands End Trial.... wish me luck!

Steve.

Go a little further to the Blue Hill's Section and meet some more of the Cornwall Club there...... There will be 'classic' A7's in the car park

Sandy

Steve,

You need a special drill designed for glass drilling. You lay the glass flat and make a ring of plutty around the hole and fill it with white spirit. You drill the hole keeping the drill in the pool of white spirit.