Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Removal of steering wheel rp saloon 1933

can anyone help I want to remove the body of my RP saloon and I want to leave the steering column in place how do i get the mx an Accel leavers off so i can remove steering wheel
thank you
Colin

Re: Removal of steering wheel rp saloon 1933

Starting at the bottom, remove the two brass levers (the linkage to accelarator pedal and Dizzy A/V). They will have to be slid off over the horn wire, hopefully the horn wire has a connector somewhere on it as this will be pulled up out of the steering column as well.

Undo the four screws at the top of the column holding on the bakelite cover plate to the levers at top of coloumn. Undo the two screws that hold the spring loaded 'bits' that stiffen the levers onto the 'rubbing' plate.

The two central rods should now be eased up the steering column. You may need to put pleanty of 'Duck Oil' or similar down there to loosen them up.

Undo the clamp bolt to the rubbing plate and remove, now undo the nut holding the steering wheel on, then you may have to ease that off the splined shaft, sometimes it's easy, other's are difficult.

As I recall from your web site, you have a RP with a sun roof, if so then you should be able to work the tubes out through that open gap. If the roof is fixed, then you will have to loosen the steering box to tilt the steering column down. There's not enough room otherwise, or there's a grave risk of kinking the tubes.

I think I've covered it all.

Naomi

Re: Re: Removal of steering wheel rp saloon 1933

Naomi
Thank you for your help, spot on