Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: Austin Seven books

Hi Tony P

The friction rule taught from the sixth form is an empirical law, not absolute. There are many seeming anomalies ie slick tyres, lapped tapers... etc. Clutches often grip better with material removed. The exact response in any application is often not certain. Soft linings were considered very sensitive to temp; may degrade during a single stop, so the practical effect of width is indeed debatable.

Hi Alan

I have only documented four errors in Williams, none clearly on the recent long list, and one which you agreed with (vehemently).

My main concern is that despite other appropriate books now available, Williams is regularly recommended as the introductory text for Seven newcomers whatever their car. It tends to set them on the hot up trail which is not now so appropriate for many standard cars or their original cranks.

Re the Tahiti, the photo I particularly remember (from over 60 years ago!) was looking down on the crew in the hold filling the bucket. Our local inter island ferry recently lost its prop....

Newcomers looking for general info may find the post Books and Manuals useful.

Bob Culver

JonE
Bryan Norfolk
The Blog of the journey is available HERE

I've put up a web post on this as there are some nice images in this which deserve to be better promoted. There is also a link to the entire Pekin to Paris victor Prince Borghese's 1907 book and 100 images. Amazing what is out there to look at. http://aus7in.wordpress.com/2015/10/20/chummy-pekin-to-paris-centenary/

Well done Jon,

this was an exciting trip that my Primary 5 class pupils were (forced :) ) to follow each morning after I had taken the register - we tracked the progress on Google Earth and contacted Annabel, they were ecstatic when she replied via the Blog.

Fantastic adventure.

Bob Culver

Hi Alan

I have only documented four errors in Williams, none clearly on the recent long list, and one which you agreed with (vehemently).

My main concern is that despite other appropriate books now available, Williams is regularly recommended as the introductory text for Seven newcomers whatever their car. It tends to set them on the hot up trail which is not now so appropriate for many standard cars or their original cranks.

Bob Culver

Christ, Bob, if I agreed with you it must have been a rare occasion, as I think most of what you say is utter twaddle.

Despite the fact that Williams wrote his book over 60 years ago now, I still think its the best introduction there is to Austin Seven mechanics.

Mr Culver,

"The friction rule taught from the sixth form is an empirical law, not absolute. There are many seeming anomalies ie slick tyres, lapped tapers... etc. Clutches often grip better with material removed. The exact response in any application is often not certain."

Not sure about your memory and the sixth form but -

When you increase the surface area, pressure between the two contact surfaces decreases because
Pressure = Force/Area
Now, this decrease in pressure due to the force cancels out the increase in the frictional force thus developed on increasing the area.
Hence the frictional force becomes independent of area of contact surface.

Slick tyres and the coefficient of friction? Not sure about your reference to lapped tapers?

Tony.

Although not approved by some, thank goodness for asides on this Forum. Led, amongst other things, to the intriguing mention of Ruairidh’s class following the Mongolia chummy. It would be difficult to devise anything more likely to capture the imagination and interest of youngsters. (Some aspects, like the loss of the second tent, would even interest teenagers). Certainly beat following the fizzled Air Race, or vague travels of Marco Polo in my day.
If I thought I could have taught that sort of thing instead of maori hocus pocus I might have pursued teaching.

Bob Culver

1 2